cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 failure to solve Android 5.0.1 upgrade problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

After upgrading my Nexus5 from Android 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 I found it impossible to get a 4G connection (or even a 3G or any other connection apart from wifi).  With 4.4.4, 4G had worked fine. After spending most of a day trying out most of the obvious solutions I signed up for a Live Chat (written of course) with an O2 lady in India.  After asking me all kinds of irrelevant questions she emailed to me the same list of settings that I had had months before to put in manually (!) to get 4G working on 4.4.4 and which I had been entering repeatedly on 5.0.1 without the slightest success.  When I told the lady in India this, she said she would just check the data service status in my postcode area, came back a little later and assured me that there was a problem in my area, the O2 engineers were working on it and I would have 4G very soon.  I did my own check on O2 service status and found that everything was working normally.  Nul points to the lady in India.

Next I took the Nexus into the O2 shop in Wimbledon.  The friendly guy there had a casual look at it, tried putting in a new APN ("that normally works"), and when it didn't, said I would need to 'book it in' with an O2 guru at Clapham Junction where he made me an appointment for the following afternoon. 

Two hours later I showed it to my adult son, a development economist, who fixed it in three minutes flat.  (Don't ask me, or him, how.)

Nul points to the friendly guy in Wimbledon.

O2 is so good in so many ways, and so bad at technical advice and problem-solving.  Why can't O2 send these complicated settings down the line and install them automatically in the device instead of making you get the settings from O2 and put them in manually?  If Vodafone can do that, why can't O2?

Brian

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem on my galaxy s4, cannot get a 4g connection after 5.0.1 upgrade, phone service comes and goes, g service comes and goes but no 4g, I have another galaxy s4 with 4.4.2, when I put my sim in to that phone even thing works fine.

I've been to the O2 shop, guru did a factory reset but no luck, I've text active to 2020 saved the setting but still no luck.

This has happened just after my 18 month contract finished.

Somebody please help!
Message 11 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122902 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Have you got a 4G sim?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

4g works fine on Lollipop I can assure you, so there is something else wrong with your phone or it's settings.

Anyway, you have a 2 year warranty so if it is broke, contact Samsung to get it fixed 

Phone Support

0330 SAMSUNG (726 7864)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes the sim is 4g, my wife also has a samsung s4, the sim works fine on there, can u send me the setting and I will try manually.

Message 14 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Settings are here http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings#o2%20Android%20APN%20MMS%20mobile%20internet%20s...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 15