Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 5 system update, no storage

Arcadia2402
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Nokia 5 repeatedly tells me that it cannot download system update as no storage. I tried to move my photos to SD card but the minute I delete from phone they disappear from SD card. I am barely running anything on this phone!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Arcadia2402 

Assuming that you are logged in to your windows ID you can safely do a factory reset then update the firmware before logging back in. 

After updating do another reset then login again and your phone will resync your content. 

You might also want to save all your photos etc to a pc just as a backup to be sure. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi there @Arcadia2402 

I know how you feel! Great info from @MI5 

Probably I would have needed that advice as I had an older Lumia 640 (nokia)

but was forced to move on as not supported end this year.

I had 8GB! 1GB RAM help upside_down

I put an Sd card in and cleared all photos to

PC regularly ~ I think updates fill up the phone and it was showing hardly

anything left!

Hope all goes well  ~ sure it will.

Best wishes and good luck from  TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 6

Arcadia2402
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the replies 🙃 sorry to be a techo dense but I really do not understand why a reset will help when all I want to do is save my photos🤔 I did plug the phone into my laptop but it said there were no photos on device
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Arcadia2402 

I'm a Nokia 5 owner so this should work:

Make sure you are on Wi-Fi

From the home screen swipe up and swipe up again and then tap Settings

Swpe up and tap system

Tap to expand Advanced and then tap Backup

Make sure the Backup to Google Drive option is Blue meaning it's activated and the e-mail address associated with your Google account is displayed below

Tap photos and videos

Make sure the backup and sync switch is blue which means it's activated

Tap Backup Device Folders and make sure the Screenshots and Wallpaper options are Blue

Tap the back button below the display

Tap back again

Tap backup now and wait for the progress bar to move all the way to the right and the backup now button to become available again, which might take a while.

To verify the backup access the photos app and tap photos, it should indicate the backup is complete.

Tap the options at the top left (three lines) and then tap Free up space.

Tap Free up device storage and the system will check what has been backed up and can be removed from your device (your photos remain accessible at all times), it will then tell you how much space can be freed, tap the free up button and it will start the process.

When it completes restart your phone and then try the update again.

Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I’m thinking your cache is full so there’s no room to download the update, hence doing a reset which will clear it and ensure there are no corrupted files.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6