cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G 4G Europe roaming only get GSM data

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Sim only 4G plan with International Saver, and a Motorola Moto G 4G. High speed data works fine for me in the UK.

I'm now roaming for the first time and in Stockholm. I turned on data roaming but can only get GSM service, which is painfully slow. I tried connecting manually to Swedish networks but this fails and I can only auto connect to Telia or Telia S.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Maybe the LTE frequencies aren't supported over there.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Double check the network you're roaming on has 4G
Message 3 of 17

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Or even 3g fallback.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146917 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
I often find roaming data very slow.... even if I can get 3g it's never as fast as at home (and that's not just limited to o2 either).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Just been reading on two other forums......Stockholm doesn't have a good reputation for data roaming. Lots of criticism from travellers who have struggled with their poor networks.....

The advice has always been the same..manually select the network that serves you best....though that will probably drop out and you will have to search again for an alternative...

Just reporting what I have read tonight....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Navdeep8

If your phone is unlocked to use other network SIM cards, perhaps consider using a local PAYG SIM card after thoroughly checking out their T&C and costs.

You would need to let people know of your new temporary number.

Just a thought.
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the suggestions.

I tried switching the phone into 3G mode and reconnecting to various networks but this also didn't work. I can only get GSM service.

I may try to get the PAYG option. Quite disappointed with the quality of the roaming service here, seems like I've been sent back 10 years.

Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay.

I hope one way or another you attain service. 😄
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would seem that the network has GSM only
Message 10 of 17