Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location service crashing apps

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just noticed on my S5 running 5.0 that apps that need to use the location service seem to crash with the "unfortunately x app has stopped). Noticed when i try to view the coverage map on "My Network" app, but its others too. "Subway" app if i try to find stores using GPS, a bus app that i use to find live bus information, o2 Priorities when viewing nearest offer available to me. They all crash when i try and use the location part of the app

I have Location in High Mode but the other modes do the same. Things ive found out so far after messing about

1) Location works and it will pick up my location on say Facebook and other apps aslong as its listing things near my current location. As soon as i try to view them on a Map it crashes. For example Store Finder on the Subway App - Asking it for a list of nearby stores works fine. Ask for a map of nearby stores and it crashes

2) Its not all apps - Google Maps works fine as does another app i use that has a map on it

3) Nothing has changed on my phone, no updates or anything or note other than specific apps but no system updates

So what could cause this? Like i say its only when i try view a map of my current location this happens with but its not all apps, just some. I dont know when this started, but the apps have worked on this phone before so i know and its far too many to be a specific app issue

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144574 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
Try uninstalling any apps that play up and re download them.
Also try clearing cache and data from any location services apps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Already tried that and still does it.

Im certain its something to do with where it pulls the map from as location services work if just in list mode, its the map that is causing issues. But then why doesnt Google Maps do the same

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144574 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
I would lean towards one of your apps causing it.
Try deleting one by one...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Do apps share data like that? Not quite sure how one app could crash another, thought they ran in their own instance. Forgive me if im wrong
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144574 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
Actually, first of all, I would remove updates from Google Play Services and re update that app.
After that, I'd go for individual apps.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Tried all that from the apps i can think of and still happens.

Unless i do a factory reset which is more trouble than its worth i dunno

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144574 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
Not much choice left really I guess.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yea annoying as if i dont know what caused it, it may happen again.

Even though it appears to be the location thing that screwing up, other than Google Maps (which works) dont really use it so will probably just leave it unless it gets worse

Cheers anyway

Message 9 of 9