cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Mode: battery saving - no longer working.

YorkshirePud
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So recently my handset just seems to refuse to find its location when the location mode is set to Battery Saving. I have used this mode pretty much from day one when using this handset. google maps and several other apps just downright cannot find me. Curiously none throw error messages at me either. It just sort of sits there trying to figure it out.

Yes i could use high accuracy but i am a bit of a battery saver. And I'm not usually bothered about where i am down to the millimetre.

So my handset is a Moto G4. Bought unlocked brand new. current android version is 7.0. Build NPJS25.**Personal info**

I have done some searching on the internet but responses to the issue seem vague. Clearing all data for the google play services fixes it for some. and for others not. Why it would be linked to the issue is beyond me.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Thanks! If no one has any solution the only next step i can think of is to nuke the handset and factory reboot it.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Did you try it?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

YorkshirePud
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

factory reset? No I'd rather not if i can avoid it. That's a good hour wasted setting the phone back up again i would like to avoid if at all possible.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, I meant clearing data from Google services?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

YorkshirePud
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have, multiple times, ive cleared it. Cleared the phones cache. uninstalled play services. reinstalled it and nothing no joy. it just will not find me and wont generate any sort of feedback as to why.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Does it find you on high accuracy?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

YorkshirePud
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

It sure does. So the GPS is fine. But for some reason it is just not using the network/wifi to get a position fix.

Getting no error messages from it is whats throwing me off. Its almost as if its just not trying. I've got all the rellevant settings on but no joy.

Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Have you got any weather apps that could be nterferring with the location? Maybe even the maps app?

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I think it’s software based error.
You may have to use medium or high settings until an update sorts it out.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

YorkshirePud
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've had the phone for 2 years this christmas so i reckon its probably due a factory reset just to give it a kick up the backside. If that doesnt sort it then i reckon its down to the OS and not any specific app. All aps are affected not just google maps.

Message 10 of 10