cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kit-Kat for Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Please could you tell me when Kit-Kat will be available for my Note 2 over Kies or OTA?

Thanks,

Glenn

Message 1 of 124
123 REPLIES 123

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Any news at all on this @Chris_K ??

I'm afraid not - That's not to say it won't be coming, it's just that I'm afraid we've not had any official details around the Note 2 KitKat update. Rest assured should we receive any official updates for testing, we will be doing so and would hope to release it soon.

If I get any further details around this i'll be sure to share it.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 52 of 124

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Where is the delay Chris?
It's been released by Samsung so why would they have sent it to O2?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 53 of 124

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It's beyond my reasoning too. Can o2 not approach Samsung and get this out to their customers?

Message 54 of 124

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

It seems bizarre that every other network seems to have updated.

Didn't this used to be done via a 'carrier file' back in WM days that was installed after the OS completed.

Surely the generic firmware updates could then be used and the carrier settings (and/or bloatware) installed afterwards.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 55 of 124

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
There isn't a separate carrier file with Android as it's all part of the ROM.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 56 of 124

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

But is there any reason that it couldn't be?

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 57 of 124

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
In theory, I guess it's feasible, but I'm not aware that it could be done without rooting, which again could be written into a patch file designed to just run once....

Currently using:
Message 58 of 124

Anonymous
Not applicable
TBH the only real reason that I can think of is that o2 do not want it's Note 2's customers to have the latest OS.
There is nothing else it can be.
Well will you look at that My Sony Tab Z has just started to update to KitKat 4.4.4, the most up to date android OS out. This to me tells it all
Message 59 of 124

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
TBH the only real reason that I can think of is that o2 do not want it's Note 2's customers to have the latest OS.

I know waiting for updates can sometimes be frustrating but I'd like to highlight that this is absolutely not the case - sometimes updates bring important bug fixes, security fixes, new features... We absolutely want to bring such things to customers but there's more involved in the process than simply flicking a switch. Network performance, network reliability, user experience - we want to ensure all of these are at a level that customers would expect, and not encounter issues with.

That said, I've had a deeper look into the Note 2 KitKat update and can now confirm that yes, the update exists and we hope to receive this for testing soon - no timescales for this but we hope within the coming week or two. Providing we encounter no issues during our tests, we'd then hope to see the update push out to customers within a few weeks.

Sorry the timescales are a little vague but we'll have a clearer picture in a couple of weeks hopefully. I can also confirm the update will include a fix for WiFi and Open SSL issues, if anyone has experiences those.

Sorry about any confusion or frustration previously - it's unclear why the update was already released to a select few other networks but it's something we're looking into. I hope the above news will be good news for some of you though - it's definitely on its way!

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 60 of 124