cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible? (strange issue with battery life)

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So today for no reason (no app updates or anything recently) I noticed that my battery was dying quicker than normal when on 4G but doesn't die as quick on wifi. When I wasn't using the phone the battery life was as expected so wasn't a wakelock. It was only when using the phone and using data that the battery % went down a lot quicker than normal. A thought came to me that maybe the mast is having issues and draining more battery? Anyway I asked a friend where I work also on o2 and he noticed more battery drain today than usual. Interestingly there was also work on the mast where we both work yesterday. So is it possible that the mast is faulty or having issues, and draining the battery more than normal? Signal is fine and doesn't drop
Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Probably never will, although im the type of person who likes to know why stuff like this happens. And the stranger the problem the more i want to find out grin

Its hard to believe its a network issue as o2, 3 and EE all had the same symptoms and i dont see what any of those would have in common to cause it. Unless it was an app everyone has installed that changed something on the server side that drained the battery (Facebook for example change alot server side without having to download an update)
Message 61 of 77

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
I do have fb installed although I don't use it much and certainly didn't use it yesterday.
It wasn't showing in my battery stats either but a common app is prob the most likely reason all round.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 62 of 77

jonsie
  • 93249 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

It turns out that it was a server side problem that caused Facebook and Facebook Messenger to drain our poor andriods batteries on Tuesday, glad thats solved!

http://www.pcmag.com/news/350961/facebook-restart-messenger-app-to-fix-battery-drain

Message 64 of 77

jonsie
  • 93249 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Ho, and most people have Messanger whether they use it or not! Good find @Anonymous slight_smile

Message 65 of 77

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Most logical solution.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 66 of 77

Cleoriff
  • 122964 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

The fact it was across all networks seemed to point towards an app ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 67 of 77

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Yeah for sure....

Currently using:
Message 68 of 77

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Message 69 of 77

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
You can always rely on fb to screw you over wink

Currently using:
Message 70 of 77