cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalidation of warranty

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Hoping one of you lovely people can help me!

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S2, which stopped working all of a sudden... it wasn't dropped or had any water damage etc. it just wouldn't acknowledge the charger so wouldn't take power and now won't turn on!

I took it to the O2 shop and they sent it off to the repair centre, who have come back and said that they can't/won't repair it under the warranty and have quoted £138 to fix it!... When I phoned to investigate I was told that this is because there is a crack and some scratches on the screen which invalidates the warranty.

I appreciate that there are surface scratches and a slight crack, but my point is that they bear no significance to the fault on the phone as it has been cracked for 8 months or more and has worked perfectly. When I spoke to someone in the call centre, I was told, rather patronisingly, that this would affect the working of the phone as it could "damage the mother chip!!".... Surely scratches and cracks should be covered under the warranty as 'wear and tear' anyway?

I am not due an upgrade until November, I obviously can't afford the £138 to fix it, and there is no way I am paying £35 a month on contract for a phone that I can't use!!

Am I over reacting here, or are O2 being pedantic?! Does anyone know of any loopholes?! I don't have insurance with O2 as I have private insurance, but trying this avenue first!

Thanks,

Louise

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Louise and welcome to the community slight_smile

In this case you're unlikely to get anywhere with a warranty claim, I would suggest you get the phone back from o2 and claim under your private insurance - you've paid for it, you may as well get something back!

Let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I took it to the O2 shop and they sent it off to the repair centre,

That's where you went wrong.

Taking any phone to an O2 shop & allowing them to send it of for repair is just asking for trouble.

ALWAYS go directly to the manufacturer for warranty issues.

Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24017 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3774 Solutions

You're in a contract, and there are no loopholes to get you out of it. If you have insurance, pursue getting your phone repaired through that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could always ask o2 for it back and take it to samsung

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Louise and welcome to the community slight_smile

In this case you're unlikely to get anywhere with a warranty claim, I would suggest you get the phone back from o2 and claim under your private insurance - you've paid for it, you may as well get something back!

Let us know how you get on.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently it was sent to Samsung and they were the ones who wouldn't touch it...!

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

I've started the ball rolling with the private insurance as it was clear I was fighting a losing battle with O2...

Just disappointing customer service from them with regards to something that could be fixed so simply. With a cracked screen or not, the phone should last longer than a year!

Ho hum, onwards and upwards!

Thank you all for your comments.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its going to be difficult to get anywhere with this I would suggest you make an insurance claim if you can

Message 8 of 8