cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet being funny after 4.3 update on my S4?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did the 4.3 update and it turned my phone into a real pile of **bleep**. The internet very rarely works (fine on wifi) and when I took it into the O2 shop it decided to work briefly, so the guy said "I don't know what you want me to do, it's not broken". It says things like 'can't connect to proxy server', he said he'd never heard of this.

After speaking to o2 about 5 times they said they'd give me a straight swap for a new s4 if I take it back to the shop I bought it from which I am doing tomorrow.

I think it's quite a concern that all the people I have spoken to at O2 deny any knowledge of this update problem??? It's really depressing that none of them know what's going on, if Vodafone weren't so horrendous I'd move back to them!

Has anyone else had problems with their internet after this update? I've also had the serious slow scroll lag, apps shutting, camera not working, keyboard doing what it wants, etc.

The reason I ask is because if they can do the fix I've seen on this forum (I really do not trust myself to it right) I'm happy to keep this phone. If any of these problems are because the phone is actually faulty then obviously I'll take the replacement.
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

You need to back up what you want to keep and do a factory reset. If you do a search on the forum you will find a detailed description by our community member MI5 of how to do it. It should solve all your problems, and I don't believe it is difficult to understand or do.

Take a look here: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Galaxy-S4-freezing-since-update-to-And...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

You need to back up what you want to keep and do a factory reset. If you do a search on the forum you will find a detailed description by our community member MI5 of how to do it. It should solve all your problems, and I don't believe it is difficult to understand or do.

Take a look here: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Galaxy-S4-freezing-since-update-to-And...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
 If any of these problems are because the phone is actually faulty then obviously I'll take the replacement.

If you get another one that hasn't had the update you'll have the same problem.

It needs a hard reset as Bambino said.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
There's nothing wrong with your phone. Just follow my reset instructions.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, yes I did see someone had posted a step by step guide...  I'm just so rubbish with technology!!  I will give it a go anyway I suppose I can't do any real harm.

If I do the factory reset thing will it wipe all the contacts from my SIM?  I don't need to worry about saving photos and music as I've only had the phone 9 days so there's nothing on there!

Thanks again

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I forgot to ask a really obvious question....

Once I've done the reset, what if my phone tries to update again?  Or have all the updates been stopped while Samsung sort themselves out?

I don't want this to happen ever ever again!!

Message 6 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Nikki, all explained in more detail here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/How-To-Reset-your-Samsung-after-a-Firm...
Just follow the steps carefully and ask first if you're not sure.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If I do the factory reset thing will it wipe all the contacts from my SIM?

Your sim is unaffected and your contacts should be backed up to your Google (GMail) account.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 8