cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tether using a Samsung S3 GT-I9300

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never done it before. If I buy an Android tablet eg Samsung Galaxay 10.1, will it be easy? What are the steps I need to take?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really easy to do and only takes a few seconds to setup.

The settings you need are in Settings > More Settings > Portable Hotspot. Slide the switch to turn it on, you may get a popup warning you about switching WiFi on, just tap ok. That's basically it. If you now click on the Portable Hotspot option it will show you the hotspot name and password so you can connect your devices (Samsung Tab 10.1, or any WiFi device) to your phone. Connecting a tablet to your phone is the same process as connecting it to any other WiFi network.

Obviously make sure mobile data is switched on, and note that any data you use across tethered devices comes out of your regular monthly allowance.

Hope that helps. slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really easy to do and only takes a few seconds to setup.

The settings you need are in Settings > More Settings > Portable Hotspot. Slide the switch to turn it on, you may get a popup warning you about switching WiFi on, just tap ok. That's basically it. If you now click on the Portable Hotspot option it will show you the hotspot name and password so you can connect your devices (Samsung Tab 10.1, or any WiFi device) to your phone. Connecting a tablet to your phone is the same process as connecting it to any other WiFi network.

Obviously make sure mobile data is switched on, and note that any data you use across tethered devices comes out of your regular monthly allowance.

Hope that helps. slight_smile

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many, many thanks. You made it very easy. Keep well.

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also assuming your on a Pay Monthly Tariff as tethering is not a current option for Payg Customers.

Take into account a mobile data allowance is used up far more quickly when being used for tethering due to more being viewed etc.
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, thanks, I'm Pay as you Go,have been for 15 years, and have just upgraded my data tariff.

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Then unfortunately tethering is not an option if your Payg.
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

It must be early/late! I meant that I have been a Pay Monthly customer for fifteen years.

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol.

wink

In that case if your PAY MONTHLY then tethering is available.

You may need to ring O2 on 202 to have your account provisioned if you run into any early stages glitches.

Take care.
Message 8 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147092 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions
bob, I think it's just iPhones that you can't tether on PAYG. I have the ability to do so on my S3 with an O2 PAYG sim in it, not that the data lasts long though 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a learning curve if so then.

@Toby can you confirm if it's only iPhones you can't tether with on Pay as You Go ,and if so why so ?

Thank you in advance.
Message 10 of 11