cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead Galaxy s4!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I upgraded to the s4 in November (worst decision ever made), I've had loads of problems with it since the software upgrade thing which I had to undo following the instructions on here.

The past couple of days it has switched itself off randomly despite having nearly full battery.

Today I have woken up and it is dead.... Totally dead as a dodo. Won't even charge.

Help????

The staff at my local O2 shop don't know what day it is let alone actually know about phones so I'm dreading having to go in!!!!

Anyone else had this problem?
Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
They will reflash the firmware which in itself won't wipe anything, however, they may be forced to do a factory reset which as you know will wipe everything, so there's a good chance your phone will be empty when it comes back.
Samsung don't lend phones out (I don't think anyway) but even if you went to O2 it would be just a basic call/text phone they lent you - You can buy the same thing from CPW for £15 to see you through the repair period if you don't have a spare of your own.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Forgot to say, I have checked the battery and it isn't bulging or anything.

Also, unless it upgraded again telling me I should be on whatever version android in November? Can't remember what it was 😞 I think it went to 4.3 then I did that hard reboot thing but not 100% sure.
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

So you updated to 4.3 and did the full reset after, yes?

I would contact Samsung directly as the phone is still under warranty.
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, yes it could have been the 4.3 update.

Is the phone still under warranty despite me doing the full reset?

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 have said they will repair it and have it back to me within 4 working days - is this going to be pointless, shall I ignore o2 and go to Samsung?
Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
Your warranty is fine so don't worry about that.
I wouldn't trust O2 to repair a hole in a paper bag so I would directly to Samsung for assistance.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

haha okay thanks MI5, that's settled it for me!!

Do you think I'll be okay just taking it into my nearest Samsung repair centre then?  I don't know whether they'll give me a temp phone - they did say it will take up to 72 hours to fix and they can't say for sure if I'll lose everything on there  😞

Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
They will reflash the firmware which in itself won't wipe anything, however, they may be forced to do a factory reset which as you know will wipe everything, so there's a good chance your phone will be empty when it comes back.
Samsung don't lend phones out (I don't think anyway) but even if you went to O2 it would be just a basic call/text phone they lent you - You can buy the same thing from CPW for £15 to see you through the repair period if you don't have a spare of your own.
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update on this situation:

I phoned Samsung who asked me to take the phone into my nearest repair centre.  I did this, phoned them before I went in and they advised it’d probably take 72 hours to repair.  Took the phone in to them the next day, chap took one look at it, pressed a couple of buttons – “the board is dead, you’ll have to send it off to Samsung”.

About as much use as a chocolate fireguard!!

So off I went with the knackered phone, took it to the o2 shop the next day to let them sort it out.  The girl in the shop pressed a couple of buttons and the s4 sprang to life.  She said she’d done a soft reset (holding vol and power button) and showed me how to do it incase phone wouldn’t switch on again.

That was last week.

Early this morning the phone switched itself off (so my alarm didn’t go off!!), managed to switch it back on normally.  Within 2 hours it has completely died again, no life, no matter what buttons I press.

The battery was 98% when it died, I’d literally just checked it.

HELP!!

What should I do with this pile of crap now???  O2 mentioned when I was in the shop if they had to send a phone off for repairs it took 14 days and they don’t give a loan phone which I find absolutely disgusting.  It’s the kind of service I’d expect from Vodafone!! 

Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
Your choice, either trust O2 or Samsung with the repair. Certainly sounds like it has a faulty motherboard. O2 will lend you a phone but you have to pay a £15 deposit for a tatty old basic phone (or buy your own from CPW for about the same price).
Message 10 of 19