Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to swap SIM?

Rraa
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does it normally take more than a day to swap the SIM from the old SIM to the new one?  

I bought a new phone yesterday, took it home and went online to go through the process of swapping the SIM data from my old SIM (in my old handset) to the new SIM because I would like to keep my number.  The new phone still doesn't seem to work and the old one still has the O2 logo etc more than 24 hrs later.  I have now tried again, in case the first time didn't work.  Should I wait for longer than a day really ... was I being too impatient perhaps? 

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Try texting "swap" to 20220 from you old sim.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Try texting "swap" to 20220 from you old sim.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

keep turning your phone on & off regularly, if nothing still has happened by the morning contact cs using live chat or a landline

Message 3 of 12

Rraa
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you Stuart. I shall start with this one as it seems easier to begin with.
Message 4 of 12

Rraa
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5.  I may try this if simply switching on and off doesn't work.  

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It hasn't worked as your old sim is still active, so turning your phone on and off won't help. That only helps to connect your new sim once the process has started.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Rraa
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah, I see.  Thank you.  OK, since my last post, I see that my old phone is now not registered and I have to somehow try to get the new one working but it will not accept my Gmail account or password because it does not sense there being any data enabled.  

Is this a matter for customer services?  I have no phone function either - just tried to call my mobile using my home phone and got a message saying "the person you are trying to contact cannot take your call at the moment".  

Is this also just a matter of time before things settle, perhaps?   

Message 7 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Do as Stuart said above and it will connect.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let us know how you get on
Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Rraa wrote:

Ah, I see.  Thank you.  OK, since my last post, I see that my old phone is now not registered 

That's good news. It means finally the process has started. You can now switch the new phone on/off (every half hour or so) until it connects to the network.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12