cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long did it take Xperia S users?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's o2's fault that people who own a Sony Xperia U can not update their phone from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich? Dragging your knuckles again o2?

How long did it take for Xperia S users to get your update? 

I don't understand what rooting or flashing the phone means. This is my first android phone, and it's new I do not want to destroy it and if it stops working I will not be happy! So feel forced to wait for o2. 

But why does it take o2 so long to keep up with everyone and everything. It's extremely painful to the point of hilarity. O2 you really are exclusive. 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

What a lot don't understand, which I touched on in another post a moment ago, is OS updates need to go through various "checkpoints" in their release before they can be pushed out to the end user. It's not like offering a new version of Windows, which can be recalled from the shelves before any real damage is done and even if it is too late a reinstall of a good CD with a good release candidate can fix it. The operating system for mobile devices, whether it be iOS, Android or BlackBerry phones is the bread and butter of the phone. If it's done wrong, then the handset is rendered useless - bricked for those who know - and as a result, that £650 iPhone you just bought could be worth no more than the scrap metal value.

If it's not done properly.

There is no BIOS to fall back to or reinstall if an Android or iOS or BlackBerry (whatever OS they run) upgrade goes bad. End users cannot typically recover a bricked phone, and even for those who are in the know it can be very difficult and sometimes impossible. I myself have bricked a phone, and upon trying to recover it fried the cellular radio in it. If you take a trip over to the XDA boards for your respective handsets, they will be filled with posts about people bricking their devices by doing something wrong, or struggling to find the right firmware to reflash their device if it's gone bad. Granted there are loads of posts on how to recover it too, but for an automated OTA service which involves little/no user input - it is a lot of pressure to be under, and a lot of work to do, to get an Android update ready for release. If a bad packet comes through when upgrading, and the handset doesn't pick it up, and your phone is bricked, O2 will have to deal with it. They don't want their customers having bricked phones. So naturally I can for one understand their reluctance to push out an Android upgrade as fast as humanly possible.

I wouldn't want a bad OTA update bricking my new phone. I doubt you guys would either. If you are keen to get the next version of Android and want to take the risk do what many others are doing and head over to XDA Developers and root/flash your handset. If you don't want to take the risk of a damaged handset then wait a while until HTC/Sony/Samsung/Motorola perfect their own versions for your device, and O2 have their input, and be 100% assured that it won't break your device.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I started a huge thread on here re ICS for xperia S. (http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Sony-Xperia-s-No-ics-yet-JB-I-m-not-ho... It took about 6 weeks for o2 to release their version.  If you flash your phone then you will lose any warranty.  I also only experienced problems with ICS for my X S.  Eventually returned it to o2 and switched to SIII.  Phone was fine on gingerbread.  My wife has Sony X P and will not upgrade it to ICS as a result of my experience.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you andersonland that does help. As I said before and have no regrets in saying it o2 just seem to drag their knuckles for absolutely everything they do and still manage to bodge things. whhhy!?! Look, no signal again. I was afraid of flashing the phone.

Though I did buy the phone because I was told it is upgradable and it should be able to cope with the things i throw at it....I am starting to feel disheartened. There's no progression.

Thank you for your help. slight_smile
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's taken Sony 3 attempts to get ICS to work correctly on Xperia handsets, the first 2 releases where pretty buggy.

Version 4.0.4 from Sony seems to work fine.

I always buy unbranded handsets as I dont want network operators messing around with the software / updates, the manufacturer software should be good enough.

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately in my previous experiences with O2 I wouldn't hold your breath for it anytime soon or any answers other than the scripted 'It's coming soon'

The fact is you'll get it when O2 are ready (Aka, dealt with iPhone first) and only when O2 are ready!

I was nervous with my SE X10 about rooting and flashing but if you follow the instructions given in XDA Forums there really is only a very very small chance of anything going wrong and then you can get your upgrade without all the O2 bloatware that comes with it eventually.

Agreed rooting and flashing does void your warranty but you can always repair your phone via PC Companion if anything goes wrong and it needs to be sent back to Sony and they won't know a thing!

Hope this helps, and trust me you'll not get the update anytime soon.

Gillsfankev
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

What a lot don't understand, which I touched on in another post a moment ago, is OS updates need to go through various "checkpoints" in their release before they can be pushed out to the end user. It's not like offering a new version of Windows, which can be recalled from the shelves before any real damage is done and even if it is too late a reinstall of a good CD with a good release candidate can fix it. The operating system for mobile devices, whether it be iOS, Android or BlackBerry phones is the bread and butter of the phone. If it's done wrong, then the handset is rendered useless - bricked for those who know - and as a result, that £650 iPhone you just bought could be worth no more than the scrap metal value.

If it's not done properly.

There is no BIOS to fall back to or reinstall if an Android or iOS or BlackBerry (whatever OS they run) upgrade goes bad. End users cannot typically recover a bricked phone, and even for those who are in the know it can be very difficult and sometimes impossible. I myself have bricked a phone, and upon trying to recover it fried the cellular radio in it. If you take a trip over to the XDA boards for your respective handsets, they will be filled with posts about people bricking their devices by doing something wrong, or struggling to find the right firmware to reflash their device if it's gone bad. Granted there are loads of posts on how to recover it too, but for an automated OTA service which involves little/no user input - it is a lot of pressure to be under, and a lot of work to do, to get an Android update ready for release. If a bad packet comes through when upgrading, and the handset doesn't pick it up, and your phone is bricked, O2 will have to deal with it. They don't want their customers having bricked phones. So naturally I can for one understand their reluctance to push out an Android upgrade as fast as humanly possible.

I wouldn't want a bad OTA update bricking my new phone. I doubt you guys would either. If you are keen to get the next version of Android and want to take the risk do what many others are doing and head over to XDA Developers and root/flash your handset. If you don't want to take the risk of a damaged handset then wait a while until HTC/Sony/Samsung/Motorola perfect their own versions for your device, and O2 have their input, and be 100% assured that it won't break your device.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gave you Kudos for that well written and informative explanation Frank.

The problem is, for the average man in the street, they see the adverts and publicity and WANT ONE!!!!!!! (Without having a clue how to work it. :smileytongue:)

I myself have been guilty of this.  Smiley Embarassed

It is rapidly getting to the stage that one would need a degree in basic IT just to work a cell phone.  All the google advice that is out there is generally only someone's opinion.

XDA-Developers is a great forum for advice but BE CAREFUL!

XD

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing is, sony have clearly already done the testing part and deemed the software ready for release, as it is already available in some countries. The phone is the same piece of hrdware wherever you are in the world, so why does O2 need to test it further? and for such a long time. The software works and is ready. 

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

As o2 will be responsible should anything go wrong with your phone after updating, it is in their interest to double check everything.  Also they like to put add-ons in to customise it for their customers.  Lastly, as previously publicised, Sony got it wrong with the X S and had to stop the roll out and restart it a couple of times.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's taken Sony 3 attempts to get the ICS update working correctly on the Xperia's

I ended up rolling my phone back to Gingerbread twice due to dodgy Sony ICS software updates, latest Android 4.0.4 ICS from Sony runs spot on Smiley Very Happy

At least Sony held there hands up to the problems & listened to the customer complaints then actually worked on a fix, it took them a couple of attempts but they got there in the end.

Message 10 of 10