cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC HD7 switching between bands

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,
The basic problem us we live on the outskirts of a town with open countryside, this is lovely but has limited cell phone coverage.
Over the last three years I have tried all of the cell phone providers ending up with Orange via UMA, this was ok but not stable enough to be reliable.
My neighbour howver had an old O2 phone on GSM, this worked fine so just to be sure I bought an O2 SIM which I tried myself, Great I thought and ordered the above phone.
Phone arrive, switch on little or no reception, yet my O2 older handset sat next to it shows wall to wall coverage.
Then I realise the HTC is trying to find either 3G or HSPA occasionally dropping onto the edge service which I guess is GSM - for some reason it only shows a couple of bars with call quality quite poor, it also drops calls and sometimes cannot connect to live mail.
Help!
Thanks in advance,
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's handy to know what features use what frequency for example, I went to the US last month and left the data roaming and Wi Fi options enabled - I ran up a bill of almost £100 for four days, not just on data but texts too.
A couple of slightly o/t questions if I may;
1. If I switch off data and roaming will the phone still 'roam' to find a carrier in the US for voice calls only, also will emails still come through on 2G?
2. If I switch off data and roaming but leave Wi Fi on will it find my US office network or will it not even begin searching of it?
Is there a table or reference anywhere for what does what?
Ta,
Message 11 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 86989 Posts
  • 594 Topics
  • 5123 Solutions
Yes to both but I would only switch the wifi on when you want to use it. Constantly on will mean it's continually searching for wifi connections and will be a burden on your battery.
Also make sure you switch off voicemail before you leave the UK, the way it is routed means you will be charged silly rates if someone leaves you a message.
2020-Awards-jonsie5695219-2

O2 Social Media

SM IconsTwitter

Instagram

Facebook

Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers for that, so just to clarify emails will still come through with roaming and data switched off overseas?
If its coming through on the 2G voice is it still classed as data, sorry to be pedantic on this but I never seem to get a clear answer when researching myself.
btw, switching off the 3G option has made a huge difference, the phone works normally with no missed calls, in addition the battery life has doubled to around two days.
Could this be something to recommend to O2 customer support?
Message 13 of 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
If data roaming is off unless in wifi coverage abroad no emails will come through as cell data is blocked 2g/3G
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again Adam,
As I mentioned in my post about researching the subject it may not be clear to users, indeed two replies from knowledgeable posters with different answers to the same question.
Message 15 of 15