cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC 8S storage issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been having a problem for a while with storage on my HTC 8S.  I have an SD card and have deleted all but two apps, but storage is still filling up rapidly and it's at the point where I can't sync emails or send messages.  Is there anything short of a factory reset I can do?  I'd rather not do this and lose everything on my phone.  Is there anything that O2 will do about this, as it's a software issue, from what I've read?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
It's a software limitation rather than an issue unfortunately.
The problem is the partitioned space (for apps) is very small and the constant addition and deletion of apps leaves a shadow behind (even though you think it is deleted it isn't fully)....
The only way to help with your phone is to clear the cache (the temp memory used by app data) providing you are on the latest firmware the instructions are here http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-adds-ability-temporary-delete-files-8x-and-8s-latest-os-and-firmware-up...
I would add though that you really should be making regular backups and so a factory reset would be much easier to do - What would you do if your phone crashed and lost everything 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
It's a software limitation rather than an issue unfortunately.
The problem is the partitioned space (for apps) is very small and the constant addition and deletion of apps leaves a shadow behind (even though you think it is deleted it isn't fully)....
The only way to help with your phone is to clear the cache (the temp memory used by app data) providing you are on the latest firmware the instructions are here http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-adds-ability-temporary-delete-files-8x-and-8s-latest-os-and-firmware-up...
I would add though that you really should be making regular backups and so a factory reset would be much easier to do - What would you do if your phone crashed and lost everything 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Issue is the phone has only 4gb of internal storage which can be eaten up by apps and their data. As you can't move apps to the sd card all you can do is delete unused apps and or delete their cached data.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Backed everything up and reset my phone, have now freed up over 1GB of space so will keep an eye on that.  Thanks for your help slight_smile

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Always a pleasure slight_smile
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries.

Long term it will creep up again. 😞

Next time you upgrade handset I would pay particular attention to internal memory.

Take care.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Just keep this app on your phone and it should be easier to manage in future http://www.wpcentral.com/make-more-space-updated-htc-windows-phone-8-devices
Message 7 of 7