cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free 4g or not 4g that is the question ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, Just a quick post in case others find themselves in the same position.

I received the automated text from o2 stating that I was to be given "at no extra cost" an upgrade to 4g on my pay monthly account on the 27th of June, that came and went with no increased data speed so I rang o2 to ask if there was anything they had to do at their end to allow 4g on my account the person I spoke to stated to get 4g my tariff would have to be changed as it started in 2009? So to get 4g I would lose my unlimited data bolt on and it would be replaced with a 1GB cap on data and the latest changes to fall in line with the new tariff. So be warned if you do get the "free upgrade" it might end up costing you more and you may well get less for it.

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
The question was asked by the community when the free 4g roll out started some months ago and O2 stated back then that anyone on an old legacy tariff would not get a 4g upgrade unless they changed tariff.
ie, there is no way you can have "unlimited" 4g with O2 directly......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
A few people here are staying with their legacy tariffs inw 3g

It certainly pays to check things over before commiting.

Although I thought data allowances had been increased also on pay monthly tariffs
Message 2 of 24

jonsie
  • 94057 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Anyone taking up the offer of 4G will have to move to one of the new tariffs. Myself? I'm sticking with my legacy tariff of unlimited data and have taken a 4G sim with EE.

Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
@jonsie haven't the 4G Pay monthly tariffs been improved to include much larger data allowances with some on over 8GB a month etc.

I'm ecstatic on having 2GB on Payg after struggling on 1GB for a long time. slight_smile
Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be honest on Friday Beacon were testing a 3.9g upgrade on my local mast at work and I picked up at its best 9.4mbs download speed.

Once 4g is rolled out, with fewer people using it as some will be using 4g capacity shouldn't be an issue for a while.

So if I had an unlimited data tariff (legacy 3g) I would probably stick with that as it should be quick enough for most things. (Of course if your 3g offer is much slower then you have to consider that).
Message 5 of 24

jonsie
  • 94057 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

They have @Anonymous but the fact that my area is only served by EE with the delights of 4G it seems pointless to stay with O2 except as my back up phone with the unlimited data. I have been known to rely on tethering my PC to it on the few occasions that Sky BB went down. Worth keeping for that alone. I can also tether the tablet to it on the rare occasions that I find a pub with no wifi.

Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Certainly makes sense.

I'm on the flip side.

Very fast speeds on o2's 4G but limited Data allowances plus Bolt On's. I know I could upgrade to Pay Monthly but it's not a commitment I want.

So to the OP.

Is their really only a 1GB data allowance on offer ?
Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Only going on what was stated to me in the phone call to o2 earlier this afternoon (Sunday), they said I would get more free minutes and texts but the limit for the data was 1GB.
Message 8 of 24

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
You can have 1, 2,3, 5, 6 or 8gb 4G tariff's - It all depends how much you want to spend......
As commented on a thread previously, O2 are trying to push everyone off the old legacy tariff's and have now introduced a 4gb cap on data anyway....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 24

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Only going on what was stated to me in the phone call to o2 earlier this afternoon (Sunday), they said I would get more free minutes and texts but the limit for the data was 1GB.

I guess that would be the most comparable to your current tariff cost (£16 unlimited text, 1000mins, 1gb 4g data).

Message 10 of 24