Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy J4+ and transfer of info from old phone

starfish
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I bought a new phone today and got a replacement SIM card for it.  My old phone was permanently locked after an update last night.  I've been told to "go to Settings > Data usage, tap on the three-dot menu symbol at the top right of the screen, and make sure "Auto-sync data" is turned on. Once you have a backup, select it on your new phone and you'll be offered a list of all the apps on your old phone."  I went into Settings and saw Connections, under which was a subheading (that I could see onscreen before clicking on it) that included "Data usage".  I clicked on Connections then Data usage.  The three dots weren't there nor was anything else that even suggested transfer or syncing of date from another device.  Could there be another Data Usage option elsewhere in the phone?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can probably get your contacts, photos and videos off Google, but anything else would have needed to be backed up somewhere to be able to restore to new phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@starfish to see all apps you have previously downloaded you need to open the Play store app, then go to Apps >My apps.

The option should also have been offered to you during the setup process agter you entered your Google account details.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

starfish
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I was in the shop when we entered the google details but then I said I'd do the rest at home...

On the new phone, when I click on Play Store it takes me to a page with Google Play as a heading and a symbol of three lines and a red dot, which, when tapped brings more out of the side, the top option is My Apps and Games with a subheading of Installed, but many of those are not apps that I downloaded on my old phone and the ColorNote that I had on my old phone does not show in this list.  I think I'll have to visit a guru tomorrow.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.socialnmobile.dictapps.notepad.color.note

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

starfish
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks, but I'd like mine with my notes transferred to my new phone with contacts, text messages and so on.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Where did you back up the old phone?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Might be worth reading this https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Backing-up-your-phone/bc-p/1114212

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

starfish
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I never did back up the old phone - will that make it impossible to transfer all the information now?

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can probably get your contacts, photos and videos off Google, but anything else would have needed to be backed up somewhere to be able to restore to new phone.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

starfish
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you.

Message 10 of 10