cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI: Data charges with roaming turned off (Android)

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI!

This is warning to those on the newest Android software.

I am currently running Android version 4.1.2 (latest firmware) on my Samsung Galaxy S2.  With data roaming disabled im still managing to rack up data costs with O2.

I have since complained to O2 and been advised that if it happens again i will be charged and I persisted that they look into this fault as it will affect others (i can hand on heart say this is not user error - i have never enabled data roaming!) as a result i asked for a data roaming bar at network level - i dont want to pay their extortionate prices via network when i travel with a tablet and laptop and either use wifi or wired connection on those.

I travel a lot and have noticed since updating to the latest software whilst on my last trip email and facebook notifications came through some how.  I hope they look into this.  being in telecoms myself, a refund is only a temporary solution and they need a due diligence to follow this up - i advised this to the helpdesk and she agreed, so i hope they do try!

Alex

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have a Galaxy S3 with version 4.1.2 and just returned from a business trip to Milan. I always have data roaming turned off in the phone settings and leave mobile data on, I never had a problem with this before. 

I now see a 1.99 charge for data even though the only emails/data received was in the BA lounge at thee airport on WIFI. In fact I hardly had any phone signal for most of the trip and had to restart my phone to get signal let alone data.

O2 customer services said they had sent me 15mb but couldn't tell me how much I actually used. They are now looking into it to see why I have been charged. I do not see why I should have to pay just because they sent me 15mb of data when I never asked for it and never used it.

Message 11 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You didn't ask for it but your phone did, so the charge would be correct.

If they're feeling generous they might give you a credit for it as you didn't seem aware.

If data is turned on you are very likely to get the £1.99 charge.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

As it turns out a network investigations has shown that my phone did not use any data whilst abroad and O2 have removed the charge.

Just a shame O2 cannot trust their customers in the first place.

Also it should not matter if data is turned on, when data roaming is turned off as this will overide the data connection.

Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to hear you reached a reasonable result.
Message 14 of 14