cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI: Data charges with roaming turned off (Android)

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI!

This is warning to those on the newest Android software.

I am currently running Android version 4.1.2 (latest firmware) on my Samsung Galaxy S2.  With data roaming disabled im still managing to rack up data costs with O2.

I have since complained to O2 and been advised that if it happens again i will be charged and I persisted that they look into this fault as it will affect others (i can hand on heart say this is not user error - i have never enabled data roaming!) as a result i asked for a data roaming bar at network level - i dont want to pay their extortionate prices via network when i travel with a tablet and laptop and either use wifi or wired connection on those.

I travel a lot and have noticed since updating to the latest software whilst on my last trip email and facebook notifications came through some how.  I hope they look into this.  being in telecoms myself, a refund is only a temporary solution and they need a due diligence to follow this up - i advised this to the helpdesk and she agreed, so i hope they do try!

Alex

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at the Android issue tracker i think http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32758 could be the issue.

A problem on some android versions if switching to and from wifi and airplane mode

That's not clear to me if the users just don't KNOW they are roaming or if they don't WANT to be roaming ??

As I mentioned, you should do a factory reset after a major upgrade. It's not an issue I've ever had or heard of before but anything is possible.

I still believe this to be a software conflict or a phone fault.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

We normally advise to turn off MOBILE DATA in your phones settings when abroad as this should stop any connection from a phone to a networks data services.

That's the first time I've heard if this happening.

@MI5 is the man in the know about updates and Android , so maybe he can shed some light in this.
Message 2 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you allow your phone to use data it's your responsibility.

Data roaming is for when you are abroad, but you can turn off all data services on your phone.

It cannot connect to the internet if it's off.

1. Tap the Menu icon
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Tap Wireless & Networks
  4. Tap Mobile Networks
  5. Tap the Use Packet Datacheck box to change the settings
    • Checked - On
    • Unchecked - Off

The roaming switch is on the same page.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
The way I understand it, the OP is abroad with data roaming turned off. This should be enough to prevent the phone from downloading data when connected to a foreign network. If it is still downloading data then clearly there is an issue with either the phone or the software.
As this hasn't arisen on any other forums I frequent I can only assume the fault is at phone level.
@AceAlex, did you factory reset after upgrading your firmware ?
I suggest you get your phone checked by Samsung for any issues.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If they are abroad right now, turning off data roaming is easily controlled from the phone, so there is as MI5 says a chance it could be faulty.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have specified it is in relation to international data charges i.e. when abroad.  I should have stated this rather than say i travel a lot.  I travel overseas a lot.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5
i did not factory reset, just followed the on screen prompts
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the Android issue tracker i think http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32758 could be the issue.

A problem on some android versions if switching to and from wifi and airplane mode

Message 8 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Have you done the factory reset, as this is necessary after a firmware upgrade?

Anything can happen if you haven't.

If so try asking Samsung to test it for you.

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not clear to me if the users just don't KNOW they are roaming or if they don't WANT to be roaming ??

As I mentioned, you should do a factory reset after a major upgrade. It's not an issue I've ever had or heard of before but anything is possible.

I still believe this to be a software conflict or a phone fault.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14