Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage - charge for monthly surplus

grahambute
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am new to o2 and 2 weeks ago started using a Nokia Lumia 520. I chose the tariff carefully because it reflected my use over the last 2 years, and as my average use of data was less than 40mb per month I chose a tariff giving 100mb per month.

Today after 2 weeks with O2 I got a message saying I had used 80% of my months data allowance already. I am retired and not a great user of mobile phone to surf the internet, and in any case my phone has been set to access wi-fi at all times. I was worried that I might have set myself up for getting unplanned bills for extra data use so contacted Customer Services, who put me through to the Network Checkers.

They have shown me how I can see daily analysis of my data usage, BUT said in any case we do not charge you if you go over your allowance. I would like to know whether this is really true, if it is why do O2 market plans with set data usage?

My experience with O2 so far has been a bit worrying and I am starting to wonder if I should have stayed with 3.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Settings, Mobile Network or Cellular, Data Connection, select Off or On as required.

You can limit your data usage by turning off mobile data. You'll then not be able to access the internet using the mobile network. You can still use Wi-Fi even though mobile data is turned off.

1. Find "mobile network"

• Slide your finger left on the display.
  • Press Settings.
  • Press mobile network.

2. Turn mobile data on or off

• Press the field below "Data connection".
  • Press on or off.

3. Return to the home screen

• Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Nokia Link : http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/product/lumia520/userguidance/?action=singleTopic&topic=GUID-4F79...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

No you're not charged extra as your data usage now stops if you use up your monthly allowance ,unless you add a data bolt on.

o2 link : http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-tariff-terms#data-charges-and

1. "Once you reach your maximum data allowance, your ability to access data services will stop." 

To be honest 100mb is not a lot nowadays for a smartphone due to the way it want to connect all the time. I always advocate a minimum of 500mb.

The data part of an allowance is the most expensive part. 

Smartphones use data in the background to update apps etc.

When at home i always turn mobile data off when on wifi so the connection does not flick from wifi to o2 mobile data.

Message 2 of 7

grahambute
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for comment, but O2 Customer Services could not tell me how to turn Data off without going on to airplane mode which turns everything off. I would be content to have data turned off 95% of the time as I am retired and have access to wi-fi almost permanently.

As I said , my monthly average use of data over last 2 years has been less than 40mb per month.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Settings, Mobile Network or Cellular, Data Connection, select Off or On as required.

You can limit your data usage by turning off mobile data. You'll then not be able to access the internet using the mobile network. You can still use Wi-Fi even though mobile data is turned off.

1. Find "mobile network"

• Slide your finger left on the display.
  • Press Settings.
  • Press mobile network.

2. Turn mobile data on or off

• Press the field below "Data connection".
  • Press on or off.

3. Return to the home screen

• Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Nokia Link : http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/product/lumia520/userguidance/?action=singleTopic&topic=GUID-4F79...

Message 4 of 7

grahambute
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, have now found where to turn off data. I only need to turn it on if away from home and wanting to access internet or SatNav. Both of which are rare.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@grahambute wrote:

Thanks, have now found where to turn off data. I only need to turn it on if away from home and wanting to access internet or SatNav. Both of which are rare.

You're welcome.

Take care.

Welcome

Message 6 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@grahambute wrote:

You don't need to use any data for SatNav if you download this app: http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/

It uses Open Street Maps and stores the maps on your phone, so you only need to turn on GPS, which doesn't require data.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 7