Did you mean: 

Charging

Abe2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As I understand it...

Fast charging is plugged into the mains.

Slow charging is by plugging it into another power source like a computer.

In other words it's how it's charged and by what type of power source. 

So what is the fast charging on/off option in apps? 

If it's off yet I plug it into the mains will it still charge fast? And vice versa. 

My phone came with fast charging already switched on and I've automatically resorted to plugging it into the wall socket. Does fast charging compromise the battery in any way? When I first bought the phone last month it lasted days before it needed charging again and now we're down to one day. I'm charging it up at the moment by plugging it into the mains but switched the fast charging off. Don't know if what I've done alters anything. 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Abe2 

Generally speaking, fast charging should only be used occasionally when normal charging doesn't get you enough charge, such as a quick top up before a night out etc.

The slower the charge rate, the better for the battery in broad terms.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Abe2 

Generally speaking, fast charging should only be used occasionally when normal charging doesn't get you enough charge, such as a quick top up before a night out etc.

The slower the charge rate, the better for the battery in broad terms.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Abe2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. I suspected that would be the case which also questions as to why the phone automatically comes set with fast charging on. 

I've switched it off and let's see if the battery does better. 

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Abe2 wrote:

Thank you. I suspected that would be the case which also questions as to why the phone automatically comes set with fast charging on. 

Constant fast charging will definitely reduce the life of your battery.

If I was looking for a conspiracy theory, I'd say it was done deliberately to force people to buy an new phone sooner wink

A good write up here on battery life and charging https://www.androidauthority.com/maximize-battery-life-882395/

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4