Did you mean: 

Car is stealing my texts!

Cobweb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, and thanks in advance.

My phone (Motorola G8) connects to my car via bluetooth for calls and podcasts etc. But if I receive a text message it appears on the cars screen with an option to read it (obviously a no go) or I can listen via the text to speech feature. That's fine, but the message doesn't appear on my phone at all- so if I need to refer to it again later it simply isn't on my phone.

Is there any way to stop this whilst keeping the phone connected to the car? (I don't mind if the car never gets the texts)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Cobweb 

You don't say what car you have but on mine, I can choose to allow calls and / or texts when connected or I just put the phone in driving mode to stop everything except emergency calls (caller has to call twice to get through).

Check the options in the Bluetooth settings on the phone and in the phone settings in your car.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Cobweb
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5,

The car is a 2014 skoda superb. I,ve just looked at my phone settings and found a menu for connected devices. The car is listed, but there are only 3 options to turn on/off in this menu:

• phone calls (obv. want to keep that connected)
  • Media audio (want to keep that for podcasts/audio books, but shouldn't affect texts anyway)
  • Contacts (presumably nothing to do with texts)

Would you expect the options to be in the car menu?

Message 3 of 7

Cobweb
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just checked the car menu- nothing obvious in there to stop it- but strangely I discovered that all the "missing" texts are still stored on the in car SMS menu! Si I can access the texts, but not on my phone, only in my car!

Message 4 of 7

Cobweb
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Apparently my car can access Bluetooth in 2 different modes- need to change to the other one!
Message 5 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Cobweb 

I had a 2012 Superb and yes, the texts are saved on the media centre, but they were also still on my phone.

I think I had a setting on my phone in the Bluetooth options for it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi @Cobweb did you manage to sort your issue? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 7