Did you mean: 

TU Go is closing 30th November

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

We see some of you have already spotted this but we wanted to confirm that the TU Go app & service will be ending on 30th November. We’ll be notifying all customers that have the TU Go app about this from today, Tuesday 17th October, through to Friday 20th October.

While TU Go is ending, we’re continuing to offer alternative calling options for our customers. More information can be found here. As VoWifi (Voice over Wifi, part of our Wifi and 4G calling capabilities) continues to develop, we’re working with our vendors to expand the selection of handsets that we offer with Wifi and 4G calling capabilities. A full list of currently supported devices can be found here, where we will also add future devices when they’re available.

If the device you’re currently using doesn’t support Wifi and 4G calling, you can check the My O2 app or get in touch with our customer service team (202 from an O2 Pay Monthly mobile, 8002 from O2 Business mobile) to see what upgrade options are available to you.

We recommend that all TU Go users make copies of any stored messages or images that they have saved on the TU Go app, as the app won’t be accessible from 1 December.

A thank you
We know that some of our O2 Community members helped test the TU Go app during beta trials and provided varied and fantastic feedback which helped our team shape the app, add new features and fix any bugs. We hope you’ve enjoyed using TU Go, and again want to thank anyone from the O2 Community that helped us.

More information on the closure of TU Go can be found here: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 1,062
1,061 REPLIES 1,061

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am outraged by the removal of the Tu Go app even though coverage in my area is excellent.  I am a touch typist so being able to text from my desktop made everything so much easier, quicker and far more efficient.  Being able to see messages pop up on the screen was great as it meant I didn't have to interupt my workflow and I could decide the priority of the message in an instant.  I find texting on my phone extremely tedious and time consuming.  Using ridiculous text speak (obviously showing my age here) is totally inappropriate especially in a business environment.  WiFi calling is not a suitable alternative and I refuse to change my handset to suit O2.  I have lodged a formal complaint with O2 not that I expect them to take heed as they have shamefully ignored their customers thus far.  If I could get an equal or better package elsewhere I would terminate my contract immediately. 

Message 771 of 1,062

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Sadly there are number of users who have raised concerns such as yourself, and quite rightly so. However it is unlikely O2 will reverse course, TuGo isn't part of your contract with O2 and they do reserve the right to stop, ammend, and change ancillary services at any time, at least in this example they have given plenty of notice.
Message 772 of 1,062

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It sounds like MightyText might be a suitable replacement for your needs.

Message 773 of 1,062

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
Wow this thread is on fire.

Although I've never relied solely on TuGo it's been a incredibly handy tool in the box since I had the privilege of being a tester.

But as always O2 are showing just how great they are at waisting money and annoying their customers.

Over paid executive needs unique way to create loyalty. Pays whole team of people to come up with ideas. Pays another team of people to create said idea. Pays another team to implement the idea and another team to market the idea. Oh and another team to train the staff to promote the idea.

Flash forward to another overpaid exec looking to get their bonus and you have the stupid decision to pull something that is actually useful to so many people.

Yet another app destined for the now oversized pile of O2 apps that you have wasted money on.

I'll gladly offer my services at a quarter of the salary you are paying these execs to both come up with long lasting ideas and more importantly to stop you making bad decisions.

Message 774 of 1,062

Frogger
  • 45 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
SPOT ON! @version7point0 If only they could use the money to fix my local cell site which has been faulty since August.
Message 775 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much a_hcir.  I've been Googling for an alternative to Tu since they annouced its demise but never came across this.  No matter as I have now installed Mighty Text and inflicted my first text on my partner.  I am an awful lot happier than I was first thing this morning thanks to you (I still won't forgive O2 though!)

Message 776 of 1,062

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much a_hcir.  I've been Googling for an alternative to Tu since they annouced its demise but never came across this.  No matter as I have now installed Mighty Text and inflicted my first text on my partner.  I am an awful lot happier than I was first thing this morning thanks to you (I still won't forgive O2 though!)

@Anonymous  One of our regular members @jonsie uses Mighty Text a lot. He also uses Dial 123 https://www.dial123.co.uk/ for calling abroad...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 777 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have download the Software - But I have a Nokia Windows phone and it looks like the software is for Android phones and not Windows as it doesn't seem to see it?????

Message 778 of 1,062

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Mighty text only works on android.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 779 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, first of all, apologies for posting this text in the two open discussions that we are having about Tu Go but I found interesting information on both of them:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/TU-Go-is-closing-30th-November/td-p/1079038/page/77

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/TU/Alternative-to-TuGo/td-p/1079286/page/24

Personal Case: I use Tu Go while travelling abroad (outside the EU), I usually use a sim-card from a local provider with internet allowance which I use to have Tu Go to be able to receive/make calls to/from the UK.

Device: iPhone 5s

So far, I have been in touch with Vodafone, but their Wi-Fi Calling Service can’t be used abroad.

I have been discussing different options with Three and, so far, it looks like their Three in Touch app is a good option, but it ONLY works in the UK, there is no roaming available via the app, which is a pity because then it could be a good like-for-like replacement for Tu Go.

The good aspect of it is that it can be used with older phones that doesn’t have the Wi-Fi calling service enabled (iPhone 6 onwards).

BUT…. The good service that Three has is their Feel At Home Around the World Service. This service allows Three customers on Advanced plans to make calls and send texts back to the UK and use their data while abroad, at no extra cost. It's available on Pay Monthly and Pay As You Go, using a tablet, phone, Mobile Wi-Fi or dongle. It depends on the plan you're going for if you go for example a 4 GB Data with 600 minutes you can use this service from your allowance and won't be charged anything extra, which is quite cool but sadly it doesn’t cover some of the countries on where I would require the service to work,

So far, there is nothing out there to replace Tu Go. I’m tempted to switch to Three and try their Three in Touch app and the Feel at Home Around the World Service but again, it’s not a direct replacement to Tu Go in terms of functionalities.

Max

Message 780 of 1,062