O2's 5G network is now LIVE!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Header - Corporate_5G.png
O2 Switches on 5G with Unlimited Data, Flexible Plans and No Premium

• O2 launches 5G on its revolutionary Custom Plans, with unlimited data, and no 5G premium 
  • Network rollout begins across the UK today in Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Slough and Leeds, reaching a total of 20 towns and cities in 2019  
  • Exclusive partnership with MelodyVR and Oculus from Facebook gives music fans intimate access to gigs and musicians through cutting edge Virtual Reality 
  • Business partnerships with ITN, Samsung and Northumbrian Water Group demonstrate real-world 5G use cases and their potential to boost the British economy 

17 October 2019: O2 today launches its 5G network with a range of new tariffsincluding an unlimited data optionat the same price as its 4G equivalents. From today, customers can access 5G through O2’s revolutionary custom plans, giving them the flexibility to take advantage of 5G on their terms. O2 has also released an exclusive partnership tariff with Oculus from Facebook and MelodyVR, the destination for music in virtual realitygiving customers exclusive VR music experiences.

O2’s 5G network is launching in six locations across the UK: Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Slough and Leeds, improving capacity and reliability in key placesThe network will initially switch on where it’s needed most, including busy footfall areas around London Waterloo and Kings Cross; Haymarket in Edinburgh; Trinity Shopping Centre in Leeds; and Belfast South city centre; or in busy match-day hotspots around Twickenham or the Emirates Stadium. The network will be live in a total of 20 towns and cities by the end of the year, and 50 by summer 2020.

Mark Evans, CEO, Telefónica UK, said: “Today is a significant moment for our customers and our business as we switch on the O2 5G networkWe’re launching with a range of tariffs that make it easy and fair for customers to access 5G, with flexible plans that cost no more than 4G. We’re also switching on 5G in important parts of towns and cities first, places where it will benefit customers and businesses most.

"
I believe 5G is going to revolutionise the way people and businesses use mobile connectivity, unlocking huge possibilities for our economy and society. No one in the country has all the answers today, but I’m excited about getting it into the hands of our customers and working with leading partners to help shape the future of 5G for the next generation.”

For more information on our 5G launch, including our tariffs, more information on MelodyVR, our '5Guarantee', business partnerships and more, check out our full press release here.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Luke30 wrote:
Is 5G been switched on in Dorset?

No @Luke30 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 36

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
I rang customer services earlier and they are struggling to add 5G onto my account, am waiting a call back... looks like my account has gremlins still 😞 ahh well no rush im back overseas for work
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 22 of 36

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
How do we upgrade our 5g devices on 4g tarrifs?

We've got some handy info here for this one Viridis slight_smile

Before our 5G network switch on, all our 5G phones came on a 4G tariff with a 4G sim. To get onto our 5G network you’ll need to swap to a 5G sim and move to a new 5G tariff.

Just get in touch, and we’ll sort it for you. Once you’ve got your 5G tariff and swapped to your 5G sim card, you may need to complete a software update and enable 5G on your phone.

Finally, to activate your 5G sim, you’ll need to do a sim swap.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 23 of 36

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I'll settle for decent 4G in Manchester seeing as we have to wait until 2020 for 5G....

Message 24 of 36

madasaf1sh
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@Chris_K wrote:

@viridis wrote:
How do we upgrade our 5g devices on 4g tarrifs?

We've got some handy info here for this one Viridis slight_smile

Before our 5G network switch on, all our 5G phones came on a 4G tariff with a 4G sim. To get onto our 5G network you’ll need to swap to a 5G sim and move to a new 5G tariff.

Just get in touch, and we’ll sort it for you. Once you’ve got your 5G tariff and swapped to your 5G sim card, you may need to complete a software update and enable 5G on your phone.

Finally, to activate your 5G sim, you’ll need to do a sim swap.

Hi @Chris_K 

Just been on the phone to CS and to be i cant believe that o2 are cocking up yet another service launch. 

I cant add 5G to my contract because i didnt get the 5G Note 10, on the contract i am using, i cant move up to the 5G tariffs, although it came from an o2 shop we just changed the handsets over. 

So from what i gather you need an o2 handset bought on the contract you want to add 5G too, and also you need a 5G simcard. 

Why are o2 the only network that are acting like this, and are you trying to push customers who buy sim free handsets away from o2 5G, when the handsets all support the bands used by o2. 

One very confused and miffed o2 Customer...

Message 25 of 36

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

madasaf1sh
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
Totally agree @jonsie.

Me not a happy chappy 😞
Message 27 of 36

packages
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@madasaf1sh wrote:
o2 has a massive campus in Leeds so it makes sense to launch in leeds slight_smile and i work in Leeds so i can get 5G

Birmingham also has a massive campus, so that's no excuse @madasaf1sh  rofl

Birmingham (along with Manchester) is a Vodafone hosted area so that's why it's not a launch city.

Remember the East/West divide: https://pedroc.co.uk/content/vodafone-o2-beacon-1-and-2

Look at all of the places going live in 2019 and compare it to the map in the link above

Message 28 of 36

Luke30
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 389 Posts
  • 131 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I thought I read on here ealyer ago this year that o2 are lunching 5G in Bournemouth in October but now they are not.
LGreenwood
Message 29 of 36

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
If you see the earlier reply, o2 have said Bournemouth will be the end of 2019.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 30 of 36