cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 4G Rollout update-

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guys,

We’ve just announced some really great stats for our 4G rollout and some  new information on what’s coming next!

Here’s an overview of where our 4G is at the minute-

-Available to 33% of the population indoors and 41% of the population outdoors

-Already in 191 towns and Cities across the UK spanning to 20 million people

-Over 1 million O2 customers now on 4G

Here’s what we’re doing to make 2,3 and 4G better

- Nationwide upgrade of existing masts

- 25% of masts upgraded by 2014

- An additional £16 million committed to delivering data services to over 200 areas that have never had data before!

- Investment on top of the £1.5 million per day equivalent network spend

4G data stat alert*

In the last year since we launched 4G customers have used more data than the combined period between 2000 to 2008! That’s a lot of data.

For more on this check here

These are ambitious plans guys, let us know what you think and if you’ve already started to see and make use of the improvements that have come with 4G.

What more would you like to see from us for 2014 and beyond?

Of course in 2015 everyone will be using Segways whilst using our Google glass or the Apple or Samsung, HTC and beyond equivalent…

But never the less- let us know what you think!

Thanks

Brad

Message 1 of 141
140 REPLIES 140

RueDrBouree
Level 4: Observant
  • 45 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi

Bit strange but having a look at the coverage checker this afternoon and the village that I live in now apears to have 4G. On the map it looks as if 4G overs the main road and a few side roads. However the nearest town about 2 miles away doesn't have 4G and neither does Canterbury (5 miles) away. 

I have changed my tariff and will be interested to see how well it works (thats if I get a signal)

Alex

Been an O2 customer (off and on) since 1995
Message 11 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
Argh everyone waits for 4g cos they need it.

Please o2 can I have 3g here. and preferably 3g that works.

Pretty please
Message 12 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 for a couple of years now and my decision to change to them was based on the fact that they are the only network that works reliably in my office at home and their 2G coverage looked to be pretty comprehensive across the country. So gone are the Suresignals and similar flakey femtocell solutions, and that's great.

What isn't great is I soon realised that 3G coverage out of any urban environment, (and often within), is terrible with O2. I travel up and down the motorways and major A roads quite a bit, and being able to check for traffic problems using Google maps would be a godsend if only there was any data coverage even along motorways which you really would have expected to be covered well with 3G. But not a bit of it.

So will the roll out of 4G really improve the coverage of 3G in any meaningful way, or will we all be basking in 4G nationwide within the next couple of years, including the major road and rail routes?

Message 13 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Forum.

We are told that along with upgrading the masts to 4G this will also improve both 2&3G.

Network Future ; http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing

Message 14 of 141

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Well all we know is that o2 took the coverage obligation lot i.e. 98% indoor coverage at a minimum 2mb speed so 3g can be used to provide this along with 4g. and the linked news article goes into more depth in the first post.

But as for roads and rail they are not covered in the requirements as it is based on population points(postcodes) but ofcom is looking at this  http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2013/11/five-point-plan-to-improving-mobile-coverage/

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info - delighted to see 4G to be available in Belfast and Lisburn Area sometime during the coming summer. I look forward to that having read that 4G is a great improvement.

Best wishes.

Gerry

Message 16 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
All these cities and towns and none of them in northern ireland, we exist you know, we use just as much data
Message 17 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous said "All these cities and towns and none of them in northern ireland, we exist you know, we use just as much data"

Very good point. Hopefully the branch of 02 that operates in Northern Ireland updates it's structure soon.
Message 18 of 141

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144302 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Some members have reported seeing test's run in Belfast so looks like it's coming soon http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/4G-in-Belfast/m-p/662727/highlight/true#M67915
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 141

newneotoo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Oh do come along O2, why all the secrecy? We've been waiting for feels like forever for an update... Any update. Please just throw the switch in Northampton this is getting silly now.

Message 20 of 141