Did you mean: 

WiFi issues- Underground

Scbryan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help. 

I've been on O2 since August and have never managed to access the WiFi underground when using the tube. 

It comes up with "identity" and "password" and it says I cannot auto connect. 

I have tried online assistance and been in store multiple times and still no luck!

I have tried restarting my phone, updating it, signing in to MyO2 etc.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146984 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

@Scbryan 

Assuming you are on contract and not PAYG, try these manual connection settings:

1. Open WiFi settings

2. Click Add network

3. Set network name/SSID: Wifi Extra

4. Set security: WPA/WPA2/WPA3-ENTERPRISE

5. Choose EAP method: Sim

6. Click Save

However, wifi has been abandoned at many stations now in favour of 4g roll out, so you may be lucky or not depending on your location.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23539 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3747 Solutions

@Scbryan See this:

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/station-wifi

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

MI5
  • 146984 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

@Scbryan 

Assuming you are on contract and not PAYG, try these manual connection settings:

1. Open WiFi settings

2. Click Add network

3. Set network name/SSID: Wifi Extra

4. Set security: WPA/WPA2/WPA3-ENTERPRISE

5. Choose EAP method: Sim

6. Click Save

However, wifi has been abandoned at many stations now in favour of 4g roll out, so you may be lucky or not depending on your location.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

A quick search would reveal the many questions on this service and it's replacement - despite O2's info as provided above.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/Issue-with-WiFi-Extra-on-the-London-Underground/m-p/16146...

The "benefit" of underground WiFi vs proper mobile signal should be clear to see...

Message 5 of 9

Scbryan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks so much for your help!

I tried it for the first time yesterday and seemed to work, so, so far so good!

It's a shame that the customer service from o2 has been so poor and no one (going into store, online, or even being on the phone for an hour!) was able to help or even come up with any suggestions.

It's a peace of mind to have some signal when underground as I have to use it daily.

I'm not sure I would stay with o2 and I think when I get the opportunity I will leave.

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 146984 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

You're welcome @Scbryan 

Message 7 of 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

@Scbryan - Just be mindful that TfL or Underground WiFi is going to be a hit-and-miss or luck of the draw situation until the rollout of the full 4G+ service is complete, as per this post and the link contained therein: 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/Issue-with-WiFi-Extra-on-the-London-Underground/m-p/16146...

Good luck!

Message 8 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@Scbryan 

Of course, it is your prerogative to leave O2 in due course. However, standards of Customer Service across the UK mobile 'phone networks are mediocre, so you might want to consider if you would be moving to something better - or worse ?  

A look at the community forums of the other networks will give you some indication of the advantages and disadvantages of moving. 

Message 9 of 9