Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People I have never contacted returning my calls

Cabbage
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have noticed for a few weeks now that I am getting phone calls from people I do not know, and have never contacted, saying that I have called them from my mobile phone number, and that they are returning my missed my call to them. They seem confused, and so am I.

Please can someone explain why I am getting these calls?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 8141 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1664 Solutions

You can't unfortunately. They use your number for a short while then move on.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149993 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@Cabbage 

Scammers spoofing phone numbers. 

Number spoofing scams - Ofcom

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

Enlli
  • 8141 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1664 Solutions

Happens here from time to time

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 149993 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

If you're unlucky enough to have your number selected.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 7

Cabbage
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5 - I have just visited the website via the link that you provided.

...but, how can I stop my mobile phone number being used/displayed by scammers contacting others (who subsequently call me saying that they are returning my call) ? 

Message 5 of 7

Enlli
  • 8141 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1664 Solutions

You can't unfortunately. They use your number for a short while then move on.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 149993 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@Cabbage wrote:

Thanks MI5 - I have just visited the website via the link that you provided.

...but, how can I stop my mobile phone number being used/displayed by scammers contacting others (who subsequently call me saying that they are returning my call) ? 

As explained in the link....

What is being done?

Calls with spoofed numbers can and do come from all over the world and account for a significant and growing proportion of nuisance calls.

That's why Ofcom is working with the international regulators – as well as the telecoms industry – to find solutions to the problem.

Voice over IP (VoIP) technology – the type of technology used to make internet calls – is often used in spoofing. The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), which helps to develop internet standards, has created a group specifically to tackle this issue.

I'm sure in time there will be some new tech to overcome this, but for now you'll just have to explain to any callers what the issue is, esp now you know yourself.

Message 7 of 7