Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 have blocked the wrong phone's IMEI and do not seem able to unblock it

Sarah63
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On 24th December I reported a phone containing an O2 SIM to have been stolen.  There was confusion about which device the SIM was in and the O2 customer services operator at first requested an IMEI block of the incorrect device but whilst still on the call,  the error was corrected and he understood clearly which device was stolen and which phone was safe and assured me that only the stolen phone would be blacklisted.  Unfortunately this was not the case.  My safe phone's IMEI was blacklisted and remains so, hence my phone is unusable. A (paid for) online check confirms that O2 blacklisted it on the 24th December at the time of my call.   I have phoned O2 now six times , each time being told that they would request un-blacklisting of the IMEI from the technical team.  I have waited the requisite time for the un-blacklisting to happen each time before re-contacting but the phone remains barred.  I have written a formal complaint and we are now well beyond the 7 working days O2 say they "aim" to reply within and I have had no response.  I now am unsure what to do next.  CISAS?  Request a letter of deadlock and take the complaint to the ombudsman?    I thought I would see if I get any response here first.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6607 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Complaints are taking about 8 weeks and until that is concluded you are unlikely to be issued a deadlock letter and proceed further.

Not sure now that a complaint is on file if O2 customer services will handle things.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Sarah63 

Complaints are taking around 8 weeks current, such is the way the network is going.

I'd be demanding O2 send you a replacement phone if they can't manage a simple task.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Sarah63
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, MI5

It is helpful to know that it is taking 8 weeks for complaints management.

The call handlers have been courteous and seemed earnest in trying to help but their requests for unbarring have not worked.  I think a request for a new phone may actually be easier for them to accommodate.  I will try asking for that.

Many thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 8

Sarah63
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Good luck @Sarah63 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

Sarah63
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I just thought I would let the forum know what happened with my case.  My IMEI that was accidentally barred by O2 finally has been taken off the blacklist and now my phone works!! ( Hooray) 

I was on my 10th call to O2 and feeling like I was getting utterly nowhere.  The call handlers just did not seem to have the abiilty to solve the problem and yet did not seem to have the ability to escalate effectively either.

The reason it got solved today was in response to my written email complaint that I sent on 10th January.  It took 23 days for a response but I received a comprehensive email, the phone is finally working, some credit was added as compensation, everything is solved now and I am happy.

Thank you to everyone on the forum.

Message 7 of 8

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5684 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Good to hear that @Sarah63 and thanks for the feedback ; it's encouraging for everyone else with problems to know that O2 do sometimes resolve issues ! 😀

Message 8 of 8