Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port problems

g0akc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We have recently switched a mobile to O2 due to a re-contracting our Virgin Media broadband package which is now 'Volt'.  The line was on Virgin Mobile previously.  My wife uses that phone.

We requested that we kept the same number.  This was supposed to be 'seamless'.

Despite contacting Virgin and O2 four times so far to arrange a 'port' this week, the O2 line is still on a 'temporary' number.

The first request was submitted by a Virgin Media agent who 'put the PAC through'.

When that didn't get actioned I did it online on the O2 website.  That still failed.

I then called O2 customer services on Friday and went over all the details again.  All submitted and PAC code/information checked by O2 agent. The planned port was confirmed in an email from O2 and due to take place on 31st October (Monday).  Nothing happened.

I contacted O2 customer services again who said something about 'server issues'.  They could see the previous requests.  She apologised and is supposed to be arranging some compensation.  She put the port through again for yesterday.

I managed to put the old SIM in a an old handset dug out from the back of a drawer and, as feared, found we had been missing important calls/messages. Yesterday, at about 11AM, the old line went from that old phone. 

The number that we want to keep has evidently been 'ported out'.  However, it has not been 'ported in' and the O2 SIM is still on the temporary number this morning.  We tried turning the iPhone off/on several times including today.  We were travelling to London yesterday but have been in the UK throughout.  We get a strong signal on both networks here at home.

Before I ring O2, who don't seem to have grip on this, is there anything else we can try or should be doing?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

@O2Lisa may be able to help.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

O2Lisa
Former Staff
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5 

@g0akc I’ll message you privately and look in to this for you.

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 19

g0akc
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - I've replied to a PM from O2Lisa with some account/number details.

I have just come off the phone from O2 customer services.  Latest excuse is a technical problem, delay and backlog on the O2 servers for the port in.  This is now fifth time of contacting Virgin Media O2 about this.

Situation is now dire for us - at least until the port out occurred I'd been able to set up an old handset, which has a 'dodgy' battery, to pick up urgent incoming calls on the old Virgin Mobile SIM.  Now if anyone rings our 'old' number, that we want to keep, they just get a message saying it's an invalid number.  The calls just go to a black hole.

Apparently this has never happened before, unprecedented, only us and so on.

Is it something to do with Virgin trying move everyone off to O2 SIMs from Virgin Mobile?

Been told to try the phone again tonight.  Reassured that we will get a message when the work is complete - though none of the other texts or notifications we were promised arrived.

Message 4 of 19

g0akc
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still waiting - ongoing - non compliance with a regulatory requirement and poor customer service!

Message 5 of 19

g0akc
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Remains ongoing.  No timescale given.  Lisa has kindly said she will provide an update on these forums when possible.

O2 are obligated to provide number porting under the Communication Act within a working day as specified by Ofcom.  See here;

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/number-port...

Message 6 of 19

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6639 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

I think we know what the obligations, but O2 is at the mercy of the organisation tasked with porting who have system problems.

OFCOM will make allowance for that.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 19

AimeeK
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the exact same issue although my number was ported on Monday 31st and I had service for 1 day before my signal dropped out and has not come back.

No I do not have my old number on my old network and have lost the "new" number associated with the O2 sim.

I have been on the phone to customer services at least 4 times. My last discussion was on Tuesday evening with a lady called Siya who insisted I would get a call back from a manager the next day. Needless to say this DID not happen.

I have missed important medical calls because of this.

How can you charge for a service you don't provide. 

Someone needs to respond to this as this is unacceptable @O2Lisa 

Message 8 of 19

g0akc
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Another contributor was suggesting, in another related thread, that O2 were not responsible at all.  They are. It’s up to them to manage any third party that they use to fulfil their obligations.  O2 sit on the relevant industry committees and so on.  I worked in the area for years.

Message 9 of 19

g0akc
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Our number has just been ported - it’s taken over a week. It also now shows on the account instead of the temporary number given with the SIM initially.

No notification received despite repeated assurances that there would be.

Message 10 of 19