Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network in Italy

jjulees___
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, my Xiaomi is not working when roaming in Italy. It briefly connects to a network but then disconnects. I keep switching networks manually but it disconnects after a few minutes. The signal bars remain even when the sim disconnects, because the sim binds to a local network.

Example: I manually choose the ILIAD network, it connects to O2 for a few minutes and then disconnects from O2 to connect to ILIAD. This happens for all the networks I've tried.

Connecting to iliad or tim etc.. the sim doesn't work, because it tells me that I am not enabled to make calls and doesn't send messages.

Can someone help me? I’m on O2 pay as you go

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37301 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Enlli wrote:

OK, just a thought. Looking back at the latest posts on not roaming in Italy I notice it seems to involve PAYG.

Are the Italian networks restricting access to none VoLTE phones now there is no 3G?

As I say, just a thought.

I know the USA is making 4G Calling a necessity for voice calls when roaming, but was not aware of the same being applied in any of the Europe Zone countries that have retired their 3G networks, @Enlli.

Let's ask, @Enlli - it is a very good point:

@Chris_K - do you know of any changes as European countries remove their 3G networks that would affect PAYG roaming in those countries in the O2 Europe Zone?  Will networks in those countries require, as does the USA since Jan-2023, that 4G Calling or VoLTE, must be activated in order to use voice and SMS when roaming there?

The 2022 map below shows which countries in the Europe Zone have now retired 3G networks, and 2G in the case of CH/Switzerland.

Cullen-International_Switch-off-2G-3G-update_insert.png

Thanks for any insight you may afford, @Chris_K - and a note that the Roaming Megaguide may require an update in PAYG and in Roaming Tips if there is a change - especially as Contract customers seems to get the 4G Calling bells and whistles, the PAYG customer base does not get access to that on O2's network (as I understand it presently).

Message 11 of 11