Did you mean: 

Data download speed very slow

Robinf
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I hope someone can help me?

I recently installed a data sim  giffgaff  in to my caravan dongle and struggled to get any reasonable download speeds (between 2-4 mbps). I happened to read someone else’s comments on this and they were advised that the bandwidth is reduced compared to O2, even though it’s the same internet provider. So today I got an O2 sim and I’m getting less than 4mb whilst on my mobile phone O2 sim I’m getting 16mb. I then thought it might be the APN settings on the dongle and found someone in the O2 community advised the following settings;

APN NAME o2 mobile web

APN mobile.o2.co.uk

USERNAME O2web

PASSWORD password. 

however, after using these settings there was no increase in data speed?

The unit in question is a HUAWEI mobile WiFi E 5577

It’s so annoying when one o2 sim on my mobile is getting 4 x higher speed than the dongle which is the same as the mobile . Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149921 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28556 Solutions

@Robinf 

If it's a PAYG sim you need different settings.

Name : o2 mobile web

APN : mobile.o2.co.uk (PAYG - payandgo.o2.co.uk)

Proxy, Port  : Please leave blank

Username - o2web (PAYG - payandgo)

Password - password

Server - Please leave blank

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 5

Robinf
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I put that but I think I know what the problem is. When I went into the O2 shop today, I asked for a 30 day only sim. However, he rang me later to say he’d accidentally done it as a monthly sim and to ring o2 at the end of the month to cancel it. What would the APN settings be for a monthly contract which is what he’s done it as?  

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149921 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28556 Solutions

@Robinf 

as per my post above outside of the brackets.

You won't be able to cancel the sim after a month. You only get 14 days to cancel for free.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 5

Robinf
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the heads up. I felt I was duped with this from the O2 store so just rang o2 and cancelled it. Not playing their silly games. 

Message 5 of 5