cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when i buy a pay as you go 02 phone, is the £10 sim a one off payment thing ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

when i buy a pay as you go 02 phone (outright from the website), is the £10 sim a one off payment thing, I see it doesnt allow me to add the phone to the basket unless I select a tarrif/bundle/sim ?

I have noticed on the 02 website that in order to be able to get the phone into the purchase/buy basket, I first have to click on a £10 pay as you go deal, hmmmm ?

I am wary about this as the 02 agent said it was pay as you go with "no contract (just as I want)", but it wasnt until afterwards that I noticed this when attempting to purchase the phone that In order to be able to get the actual phone into the purchase/buy basket I first of all had to click on a pay as you go deal, so I seen one for £10 and picked that.

After that the phone was then in the purchase/buy basket, same price, I didnt get charged the extra £10 and the delivery is free too.

Reason why things like this worry me is I dont want tied to or roped into being tied to the £10 per month etc, you know what I mean ?

I could possibly want to have the phone unlocked and use another provider (maybe), thats the whole reason why I want to purchase a phone as a one off payment with no hidden ties per month, know what I mean ?.

Am I simply worrying about nothing here ? ? Is this what 02 do automatically to try and get you to stay with them and use their service etc, I.E - the phone wouldnt be any good to anyone if it didnt have any sim ??

I just want to double check this before I purchase because I dont want tied into anything.

Thanks my friends and sorry for dragging this on and on, lol. xx

(p.s, I still havent purchased yet because of this, so I am desperate for an answer quickly, hope someone can help, thank you all slight_smile )

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone ? slight_smile

Message 2 of 32

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Deleted by me

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

The phone is locked to the O2 network for 12 months. The exception to the rule is the iPhones which can be unlocked for £15 as long as you have used it on the network to latch it's imei to your account.

With payg you can choose the tariff which gives you an amount of allowances which refresh on an anniversary date as they do not roll over into a new month.

If you didn't top up on that date you would drop onto paying standard charges. When you then topped up again you would get your new allowances and a new anniversary date.

Tariffs here -> http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

So No your not "locked" into paying the £10 each month if you don't want to.

Due to the time of year , stocking levels and deliveries I would suggest going to your local O2 shop to buy, if you haven't already.

Or look in a Carphone warehouse as they offer O2 payg Phones which are typically unlocked , so you can use other networks and not have to pay the £15 unlock charge or wait the 12 months.
Message 4 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous 

There are two tariffs for PAYG phones

Big Bundle tariff and the Unlimited tariff

If they are asking for £10 credit this will be the Big Bundle tariff. I am not on payg so not sure how they work though

Cleoriff 

The new tariff is called "Big Talker" which is a bit different. 

The 2nd Tariff you mention is no longer available 😒 which is a shame as it's better imo than the new big talker one. 

"Big Talker is perfect if your friends and family are also on O2. Top up and get O2 Calls, O2 texts and data – use your credit to buy more when you need to."

Message 5 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I apprediate you highlighting part of my answer even though I had edited it  I will now go in and edit again to avoid further confusion....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 32

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  Thank you for kudoing my post. wink

However, you will see I have now deleted my answer as bandofbrothers pointed out I had made an error...

Thanks for the thought ...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

the phone i am wanting is the HTC ONE M8, I am in the UK by the way.

i was going to activate the phone with the 02 simcard as i would imagine that is wise, correct ????

then i was going to use my current supplier simcard which is giffgaff and I have been assured/told by them that giffgaff uses the 02 network and a giffgaff sim will work on any locked 02 phone. (no unlocking required).

so thats what I wanted to be able to do, does that sound fine and leave warranties and things perect, yes ?

Message 8 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Giffgaff is a virtual network that runs off o2's Network , - they are connected to each other as businesses - so you should be good to go to use their SIM card in the phone.

You don't need to use the O2 SIM card first if you want , however if you ever want to unlock it after 12 months you will have had to use the O2 SIM card at some time to latch it's imei number to the O2 payg account.
Message 9 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous  The HTC M8 is a brilliant phone so good choice. One of my friends has it and turned down his upgrade ...as he was so pleased with this phone. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 32