cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when i buy a pay as you go 02 phone, is the £10 sim a one off payment thing ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

when i buy a pay as you go 02 phone (outright from the website), is the £10 sim a one off payment thing, I see it doesnt allow me to add the phone to the basket unless I select a tarrif/bundle/sim ?

I have noticed on the 02 website that in order to be able to get the phone into the purchase/buy basket, I first have to click on a £10 pay as you go deal, hmmmm ?

I am wary about this as the 02 agent said it was pay as you go with "no contract (just as I want)", but it wasnt until afterwards that I noticed this when attempting to purchase the phone that In order to be able to get the actual phone into the purchase/buy basket I first of all had to click on a pay as you go deal, so I seen one for £10 and picked that.

After that the phone was then in the purchase/buy basket, same price, I didnt get charged the extra £10 and the delivery is free too.

Reason why things like this worry me is I dont want tied to or roped into being tied to the £10 per month etc, you know what I mean ?

I could possibly want to have the phone unlocked and use another provider (maybe), thats the whole reason why I want to purchase a phone as a one off payment with no hidden ties per month, know what I mean ?.

Am I simply worrying about nothing here ? ? Is this what 02 do automatically to try and get you to stay with them and use their service etc, I.E - the phone wouldnt be any good to anyone if it didnt have any sim ??

I just want to double check this before I purchase because I dont want tied into anything.

Thanks my friends and sorry for dragging this on and on, lol. xx

(p.s, I still havent purchased yet because of this, so I am desperate for an answer quickly, hope someone can help, thank you all slight_smile )

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

phone is now ordered, so i will get back to ya all next week when no doubt I will need help to get more answers.

thanks people slight_smile xx

Look forward to that @Anonymous  Smiley Very Happy If you did order the M8 we have lots of folk on here who will be able to help...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Two things here to say on this.
1 - a giffgaff sim will 100% work in an O2 locked phone, but you will not be able to get it unlocked by O2 until you have had it for 12 months.
2 - If you buy from giffgaff £419 https://giffgaff.com/htc/htc-one-m8/phone-details it will already be unlocked to use any sim from any network worldwide.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 payg for the htc one m8 is (unusually) cheaper from o2 @£359.99 compared to £419.99 from GG.

This is the second time this week I have seen o2 payg handsets cheaper than GG.
Message 23 of 32

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
But it will be unlocked and you can also apply to buy it at £20 a month slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely @MI5 but I have noticed a few times now that o2 directly are starting to become a little more price conscious re handset costs for models that are a few months old.
Message 25 of 32

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The M9 will be out soon so the'll all be cutting prices before too long to shift the old stock.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Vodafone are currently selling this on payg for £285 in their January sale for example.
Message 27 of 32

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
That is a good price !!

Currently using:
Message 28 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Explains why they are out of stock. I spoke to their Live Chat (who I have to say we're very good - o2 are you listening) and they told me more stock is on its way. Given the conversation quality I believe them too.

Message 29 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Explains why they are out of stock. I spoke to their Live Chat (who I have to say we're very good - o2 are you listening) and they told me more stock is on its way. Given the conversation quality I believe them too.

Vodaphone Live Chat?? Blimey thats a turn up for the books. One of my friends is with them. The friend who couldnt get a signal and I could when down in Somerset..... She reckons their CS/LiveChat is awful

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 32