Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam

David11124
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

While signed in to MYo2 app on my phone I received a pop-up supposedly from o2 stating that I had been one of a hundred selected to get a Samsung phone.  As I was signed in I assumed this was genuine. I just had to answer 8 questions on my usage, which I did, then provide my email address and home address, which I did, BUT when I was asked to provide payment details for shipping which was £1.68 I obviously became very suspicious as o2 have all my details.  At this stage I ceased immediately and did not complete my details.  This appeared genuine as I was signed in to the App so it is easy to see how these scamming low-lifes can get away with it.  I tried to report matter to o2 over the Easter weekend but they were closed and today, Easter Monday, I tried again but they just wished to handle urgent calls over the coronavirus epidemic which I understand.  I am posting this to alert other users to warn of the danger and cannot understand how the scammers are able to hack the myo2 app which is very worrying

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for this @David11124 

It sounds like a new scam.

Usual advice

Reporting a scam email, text or call

Some scams might pretend to be from O2, or from an organisation you already deal with. It's important that we see examples of phishing emails, texts and websites so we can investigate and shut down scammers. To report a suspicious email, text or website:

• forward the text message, including phone number or company name, to 7726. It won’t cost you anything and it means we can investigate the sender
  • for emails, forward the message to the organisation that it claims to be from. You can look up the email address to send it to on that organisation’s website
  • for suspicious emails claiming to be from O2, create a new email draft with ‘Phishing’ as the subject. Attach the suspicious email and send it to phishing@o2.com
  • get in touch with the Information Commissioner’s Office by calling 0303 123 1113.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice>

@Marjo @Martin-O2 could you check this out please?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@David11124 You should report what happened here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

As an extra precaution, I suggest you change your O2 password.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

David11124
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you Bambino - I changed my password immediately afterwards

Message 5 of 6

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for taking the time to report this @David11124. I'm not personally aware of any offer for a free phone being presented through My O2 so I'll raise this with the team. 

You did the right thing by changing your password. I'll confirm once I hear back about if this is genuine or not. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 6