Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSim QR code for upgrade customers

Ryland
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just bought a Xperia 5 V to replace my Xperia 10 III.  When I bought it as an upgrade on the O2 website it said that the phone is capable of using an eSim.  I thought why not, at least I won't need to wait for a new sim to be sent and then go a day without a working phone, carrying 2 phones around as per the normal procedure that has been in place for the last 20 years.

I then found out that I could select to collect my new phone from my nearest O2 shop the following day, which I did.  I was very happy with this as there was an offer for £300 off my new handset, and they waived the £108 that I had left on my old device.  The store handed me my new phone and marked it as collected, that was the extent of their involvement.

I then came home and tried to set it up and the eSim debacle began.  First of all the instructions on the O2 website seemed to indicate that this would happen automatically.  I then realised that I had to "skip" the QR code bit in order to complete the transfer process.  So I did this and the transfer of all my apps and settings began.

I then opened all of the pages on the O2 website that explain and complete the eSim process. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim/download-your-esim-for-android-360#manuallydow...

and several MyO2 pages.

I selected the "Replace your Sim" option and selected "eSim" and "technology change" as the reason.  I acknowledged that this would result in the immediate disabling of my old physical sim.  I received and entered the code that was sent to my old phone.  My old sim immediately went to emergency calls only.  And that is it.  I now have 2 phones that are unusable. 

I have read all of the instructions and it seems that there is supposed to be either a QR code available on the MyO2 homepage, or some sort of installation link.  I have tried to find this on my laptop, old phone, and new phone to no avail.

What am I actually supposed to do?  How do I get this QR code or link?  Why is it not instantaneous?  What is the point of an eSim if not for the ease of use and reduced set up time?

I can't go to the store until next weekend so I probably could get a plastic sim sent to me by then if I can work out how to contact O2 and ask for one without a working phone.

Any advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10537 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3085 Solutions

@Ryland 

One will have been posted out to you if you dont have access to a QR Code via myo2, and o2 havent yet joined the emailed esim process... 

You just need to call o2 tomorrow morning they open at 8am and they can post one out to you on 0344 809 0202  and they can send you the esim pack..

Not sure how you missed all the contact us links on the bottom of every page on the website..]

My advice if you dont need an esim then dont get one, as if you ever have to factory reset your device your sim will be lost and you back to square one...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions

@Ryland 

When upgrading you can just continue to use your old sim.

There's no need to get a new sim of either type.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 8

Ryland
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

One will have been posted out to you if you dont have access to a QR Code via myo2, and o2 havent yet joined the emailed esim process... 

It's not that I don't have access toa QR code via MyO2 on the web, it's that there simply isn't one for me to click on.  There also isn't an eSim install for me to click on in the app.

You just need to call o2 tomorrow morning they open at 8am and they can post one out to you on 0344 809 0202  and they can send you the esim pack..

Sorry, then can post me a QR code? That would defeat the point of a QR code.  I assume they can post me a normal sim card, which is what I will do.

Not sure how you missed all the contact us links on the bottom of every page on the website..]

How can I call them without a phone?

My advice if you dont need an esim then dont get one, as if you ever have to factory reset your device your sim will be lost and you back to square one...

I wish I hadn't bothered with an eSim, if I needed a new plastic one and I had selected that at the checkout I probable would have had it working by now.  It's been 4 hours.

Thank you anyway though.  I really think that they should stop advertising this as an option as it clearly doesn't work.

Message 4 of 8

Ryland
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When upgrading you can just continue to use your old sim.

There's no need to get a new sim of either type.

If I had known that then I would not have requested an eSIm.  Unfortunately I have now requested one and the first thing that it does is deactivate your old sim card. 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions

@Ryland 

It was info to save you in the future.

You can call O2 using Skype Guide: A Guide to Skype 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 8

Ryland
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It was info to save you in the future.

You can call O2 using Skype Guide: A Guide to Skype 

Thank you I will get a new plastic sim and never touch an eSim option again.  This seems like the safest bet.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions

I'd agree @Ryland 

Message 8 of 8