cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Poor Data Connection

Anonymous
Not applicable
I work in the EC3 area of London, so I'm there for the majority of my week.
Since I became an o2 customer in May of this year, I have rarely experienced a DAY, let alone a week where my 3/4G signal has not been severely disrupted.
I find this appalling compared to my many previous years experience with Vodafone and my current experience on a work device from EE.

This is not a device issue, it works else where (most of the time). Also, the o2 website at least confirms that there is an issue with the mast(s) in the area.

Considering I pay for 10gb a month but couldn't use that in a year at this rate, I'm finding it all hard to swallow.
I'd like to stream YouTube and watch skygo. As it stands, unless I have Wi-Fi I can't even browse the internet.

What is being done about this? I'm 4 months into a 24 month contract and already seriously concerned this is the normal service and I'm stuck with it.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You’ll have to wait until the mast is fixed but o2 never give repair timescales unfortunately.
You may get a goodwill gesture if you call customer service and complain.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You’ll have to wait until the mast is fixed but o2 never give repair timescales unfortunately.
You may get a goodwill gesture if you call customer service and complain.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any negotiating room to get out of the contract? IE pay off the balance of the handset leaving only the tarrif? Money back doesn't give me what I was happy to pay for.
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 92925 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
How refresh works here
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I have been an O2 customer for over 5 years and like you came from another network and also use EE as my business carrier. on the whole i have not been too disapointed.

If there is a problem with your local mast near to where you work then as stated in a previous reply you will have to wait for it to be sorted. Do you not connect to your office WiFi which would solve the issue whilst you are in your office and save your data allowence?

As far as 4G is concernced there are 2 frequency bands used by the operators 800(ish) Mhz and 1800(ish) mghz. the lower frequency will give better coverage but poorer speeds and the higher frequency will give better speeds but shorter coverage footprint. O2 predominately uses 800 Mhz spectrum which gives them better coverage but speeds can be noticably slower than other  networka such as EE and Three which use a combination of both.

This may not provide an answer to your faulty mast issue but hopefully expalins why O2 appears to have slower 4G speeds tha others sometimes.

Personally I am a WiFi surfer and tend to use any avaialbe WiFi I can which doesn't then eat into my allowance 

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Think I'll have to pay up and give notice as it simply never works. Every day I'm here I get a message saying something is wrong with the mast. 

There's only so far I can go with my work Wi-Fi. Bottom line is, I paid for 10gb a month and I've not had the possibility to use that since I took out the contract. 

Message 7 of 7