Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading refresh confusion

jtuk
Level 3: Thinker
  • 93 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I hope someone can enlighten me. I just don't understand O2 refresh contracts as they seem to be now. I have been on refresh for years and changed my phone every year until last year because I just didn't like iPhone X as it was so I decided to wait a while. Then in February my phone was stolen by a mobed gang on the street so I had to buy a new reconditioned phone... Therefore I no longer could do the refresh because I didn't have the phone any more to hand back. Now I am able upgrade again because I have paid up the phone (will just£39 to go) and I called O2 and they said they no longer do the refresh but I could upgrade but not to refresh. Later on she said that I "might" be able to do it in store. It was very confusing. When I asked her what does "might" mean she didn't know... I have been with O2 since 2006. Now I felt like they don't want me any longer as a customer. Also the contracts seem to have changed from 2 years to 3. Presumably because the new phones are so expensive? I am so confused. The old system was clear. Now I don't know what is going on. I didn't even get to ask about unlocking the phone I have now because it isn't the one I got from them but rather bought it from envirophone but as far as I know it is locked to O2... Will they unlock it??
It is very upsetting to be treated as if they don't want your custom after all these years.
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jtuk refresh is still available but no longer the upgrade on us after 12 months.

It still works though in that as long as you pay off the device plan, at anytime, you can upgrade.

3 years now helps reduce the monthly payments but you pay more in the long run as effectively you pay another 12 months airtime.

To unlock your current phone, see here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jtuk refresh is still available but no longer the upgrade on us after 12 months.

It still works though in that as long as you pay off the device plan, at anytime, you can upgrade.

3 years now helps reduce the monthly payments but you pay more in the long run as effectively you pay another 12 months airtime.

To unlock your current phone, see here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

jtuk
  • 93 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
That isn't the same at all. The refresh contract I have had always was that you could return your old phone after 12 months and then could get a new phone. "Upgrade on us"..... Now you can't get a new phone in 12 months unless you pay off the phone it seems. That is not the same as the old refresh.
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That wasn't refresh though.
Refresh was pay off your device at anytime.
The 12 month thing was "upgrade on us" which has finished.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

jtuk
  • 93 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
It was called Refresh when I took it the first year they started offering it. Upgrade on Us was not the name they used then. It is only now that it seems to appear on myo2 app. They called it Refresh contract and they said you would be able to upgrade after 12 months but returning your old phone. Obviously it was too good to last. Does any other company offer it?? I am very sad to observe the gradual downgrading of O2 service.. Never mind the loss of service for the whole day recently.
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Whatever you want to call it, they were always 2 different things tho. Upgrade on us was never available to everyone on any any phone, it was always only certain phones and tariffs.
I think EE offered it too, but not sure if they still are and it was always more expensive than O2 so you need to shop around now and find something that meets your needs.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jtuk What @MI5 has said Is correct but here is my guide also about O2 Refresh 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/A-Guide-To-O2-Refresh/td-p/877701

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think O2 should remove the Yearly Upgrade from the website then?

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/yearly-upgrade-terms-and-conditions

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
T&C's are still relevant for people who have the offer on their contract. It's just no longer offered on new contracts.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9