cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading SIM only while abroad (SIM swap?)

YesMrWilliams
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,
I'm a SIM only pay monthly customer and currently abroad outside of the EU due to COVID.

I'd like to upgrade to a new SIM only deal/tariff but I'm worried about what might happen as I am not returning to the UK to collect a new SIM or run any hash codes or whatever - I need my current SIM and services to keep working without changes or problems (aside from my tariff allowances of course).

Is anyone able to confirm that if I do a SIM only upgrade via the My O2 app, it won't affect my existing call divert (currently forwarding all calls to another UK number) and I won't need to swap/install a new SIM card or 'activate' anything, run codes, etc?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@YesMrWilliams 

You don't have to do anything with your sim or phone.

It's all updated on the system at O2's end.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@YesMrWilliams 

You don't have to do anything with your sim or phone.

It's all updated on the system at O2's end.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@YesMrWilliams 

It shouldn't affect your service at all whilst abroad. (I have upgraded a sim only tariff whilst in Spain)

All changes are made on the system not the sim, so there should be no issues.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

YesMrWilliams
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just to add (I forgot to mention and can't seem to find an edit button) - I have another O2 SIM installed in a phone that's physically in the UK and running unattended (call divert enabled with O2 forwarding all calls, and an app running that forwards SMS text messages) - I'd like to upgrade the SIM only deal on that one too - but I can't reboot the phone or swap the SIM as I'm not able to physically access it - so the same question applies.
Thanks.
Message 4 of 7

YesMrWilliams
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
P. S. Thank you to everyone that answered while I was typing out my follow up -that was fast!
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Happy to help @YesMrWilliams . Hope all goes well thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7