Did you mean: 

Upgrade gone wrong

MattTheMan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

So last night I decided I wanted a Surface Pro X tablet and saw that you did them on O2. I went through the checkout and right at the end it said do you want to upgrade instead. I thought well that will save me some money so I went with that option. My contract was with an iPhone XR. It asked me if I wanted a new SIM card, I said no as I intended to leave the SIM in the phone.

I picked up the Surface this morning and it seems I'm on a tablet tariff which doesn't include calls. I must have missed this (but realistically they all come with unlimited texts and mins anyway) but I thought there must be a bolt on or maybe I can upgrade the tariff to include calls but I'm being told no.

I don't understand how you can allow an upgrade from an obviously phone based tariff to one that isn't? You advertise the device as seperate from the sim but clearly it isn't. I can make calls on the SIM card, but at 55p a minute and no way to bundle some in.

I'm told to do the 1.5 hour round trip back to the shop and cancel the upgrade. Which is costly and quite frankly disappointing. Is there nothing else that can be done?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Hi @MattTheMan 

Unfortunately your only option is to cancel under the 14 day change of mind policy and revert back to your old tariff.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

A lesson in reading the small print and terms fully - hope you get this sorted.

Message 3 of 15

MattTheMan
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I accept I didn't see the lack of calls in the tariff and that's my mistake. It seems that now the tariff has migrated properly I can no longer receive incoming calls. This is now a real issue for me so means I have to get it sorted today.

None of this is in the small print - what was in the small print was that calls outside of your allowance are 55p per minute. I know this because I read it. At no point in anything did it say I will lose the ability to receive calls.

Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MattTheMan 

Just return it ....obviously isn't the correct device for you.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MattTheMan 

Just return it ....obviously isn't the correct device for you.

I agree although it means having to wait around 3 weeks to either reorder or to get money refunded.

Message 6 of 15

MattTheMan
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update: After nearly 3 hours in the store, they can not accept it as a return. When I called O2, they said I had to take it to the store. In the store there is an issue with it being an upgrade that was taken from store stock but completed online. The store don't own the stock to return it and the online warehouse can't accept it back because it didn't come from there. There's an added complication of it being an upgrade from a contract taken out with Mobile Phones Direct (online) rather than it being with them so they're unable to reverse the contract.

I have come home, with a tablet I no longer want on a tariff I can't use. Thanks O2. 

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @Marjo 

Can you help sort this mess out?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions
@MattTheMan The Terms & Conditions on the Mobile Phones Direct site also offers a 14 day change your mind policy. As you got the device through them that seems the avenue you should be using.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 15

MattTheMan
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got my previous device from Mobile Phones Direct and it was this contract that I upgraded on the O2 website last night. So no, it's nothing to do with Mobile Phones Direct. 

Message 10 of 15