Did you mean: 

Took out a refresh contract 6 days ago, changed my mind on handset

Itsalive1978
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 28 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Evening all.

Had an o2 contract via Carphone warehouse, it still had a little while to run but wanted a new handset so decided to pay it off early, total £372.

I went into o2 retail store on Saturday spoke to one of the assistants, explained I wanted to pay off the remaining balance and upgrade. Not a problem she took the money cleared my current contract via speed to refresh and then I decided on a new refresh contract and an iPhone XR.

Roll forward 6 days and whilst I like the handset I prefer the android platform I switched from.

Went back in to my local store and explained i had changed my mind on the handset and I wanted to switch to a different device.

At this point I’m told I can’t do that cause I did a “speed to refresh” and that they can’t help me any further.

Does anyone on here have any experience of this? Do I have any cooling off periods, if I have to cancel the contract totally then I’m happy to, if I’m honest I’m really disappointed with the experience.

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Itsalive1978 you are perfectly entitled to change your mind and take a different handset but what you can't do is cancel the upgrade and go back to your previous tariff. 

I suggest you go back and explain it's just a phone swap you want and maybe speak to someone else who knows what they are doing?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Itsalive1978 you are perfectly entitled to change your mind and take a different handset but what you can't do is cancel the upgrade and go back to your previous tariff. 

I suggest you go back and explain it's just a phone swap you want and maybe speak to someone else who knows what they are doing?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 19

Itsalive1978
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 28 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I thanks for the advise, there were only two people in the store dealing with customers, at the time I was the only customer and they both said the same thing. The girl I was dealing with also called a customer service number to try and process the exchange but they said I couldn’t do it either ?
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Itsalive1978 @You have 14 days change of mind on any new handset from time of purchase 

Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
That kind of sums up the state of o2 currently!

Currently using:
Message 5 of 19

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I think you need to return the phone under change of mind. I don't think it's possible to just exchange the handset. This will close your account. You will then be able to take out a new contract with a phone of your choice ut you may need to wait until the return has been processed. Unfortunately there would be a period without a phone unless you are prepared to have two accounts for a short period. This is my understanding of how to move forward with your return issue but I'm happy to be informed otherwise.

Message 6 of 19

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Itsalive1978
Reading through your issue and advices it seems it's all in the way exchange, replace etc etc is put to the o2 staff at the shop, regrettable that a you are put out when you ARE entitled to change your mind and organise something else. Sometimes you are lucky at a shop to find a person experienced in providing the correct advice so it seems you will need to insist that there is way to achieve what you want. You will also be aware that time is of the essence and this should be made clear, stay polite of course.
If you are also able to call early morning 08.00am try o2 customer services again you may get better advice different personnel. GOOD LUCK

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 19

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
The only other suggestion I can think of is to try a different o2 shop if they try and refuse it in the first one again.
Although there is absolutely no reason for them to do so as long as you are within the 14 day period...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gmarkj wrote:
The only other suggestion I can think of is to try a different o2 shop if they try and refuse it in the first one again.
Although there is absolutely no reason for them to do so as long as you are within the 14 day period...

They’ll probably say you have to go back to the shop that you got it originally 

Message 9 of 19

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:

They’ll probably say you have to go back to the shop that you got it originally 

More than likely, but if they explain why they have gone somewhere else it might help...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 19