Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Up - Returned Phone Damaged in Transit

Dave36
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I recently used the O2 switch up service for the first time.

A week after receiving my new phone, O2's prepaid postal package arrived for me to return my old device. The packaging seemed insufficient for sending a device apparently still worth over £500 - little more than a cardboard sleeve. Despite the packaging feeling flimsy, I concluded that O2 have posted more handsets in their time than me so I put my fully working, undamaged device in, left the case I had used with the phone on for an extra layer of protection and sent the phone back in the envelope provided. 

2 weeks later, I receive an email to say my phone has been rejected for switchup as it has a cracked screen. 

After calling O2, I'm told I need to speak to their recycling team which turns out to be a third party company called Ingram micro. After speaking to them, they forward me a photo of what is apparently my returned handset, with a massive crack on the screen which has caused the screen to appear a discoloured pink when switched on. Ingram micro concede that the packaging sent for returning phones is "flimsy" but state that they cannot take any responsibility for phones damaged in transit and advise I need to speak to O2. 

Over the next 2-3 weeks, I have phoned O2 no less than 8 times. 

I put forward my case that I will not take responsibility for the damaged phone. The phone has been returned in unsuitable packaging supplied by them, using postage paid for by them. I advise them that if I were responsible for arranging postage of the device, it would have been sent back in its original box (their cardboard sleeve is not big enough to do this) and with additional protection such as bubble wrap, with the item being insured during postage. O2 have yet to confirm whether the postage they provided included any insurance. 

Each time I speak to O2 I am told something different. 

They are constantly trying to refer me back to Ingram micro, even though they are a third party and can't make an decisions or changes on my O2 account. I've had that atleast 4 times. A couple of advisors have simply said its tough and I will have to continue paying for both phones, even though the postage and packaging was provided by o2. Another couple of advisors have sympathised, promised to investigate and call me back by different deadlines. Both times I've heard nothing back and when I've phoned again, there is no record of the investigation and I'm usually told to go and speak to Ingram micro again!

I am now at a complete loss at what to do. I am getting no assistance from O2, they don't follow up when they promise to and depending on who I speak to, I get conflicting advice. Most calls to O2 now involve a lengthy hold period before being passed round departments for an hour or so without any progress. 

I am still paying for 2 phones, which I can't afford to do. 

Has anyone experienced anything similar? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149242 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28469 Solutions

@Dave36 

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

Up to an 8 week response time though, after which, you can escalate to the Ombudsman.

In future, take photos or a video of your undamaged phone going in to the packaging so you have some evidence.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 3

Benlfc
Level 8: Talented
  • 374 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Dave36 I have recently sent 2 phones off for switch up, I didn’t bother waiting for their packaging and used my own which the email actually states you can do, I also used the original box as well and wrapped both in bubble wrap. I took photos and videos of the devices as well as how they were package. Why didn’t you use your own packaging? As O2 Recycle are actually classed as the sender as its a pre-paid label it’s only them that can claim through Royal Mail so if they try to claim they aren’t responsible they are but your issue will be proving it unfortunately especially without any photos/videos of the devices before you’ve sent it off 

IMG_6622.jpeg

IMG_6638.jpeg

IMG_6642.jpeg

IMG_6643.jpeg

Message 3 of 3