cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Swap Glitch

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently did a sim swap as my new phone takes a micro sim.  There was no problem with the actual swap and I can use my phone ok, however, when I go into its settings my phone still shows the original number which the micro sim was associated with.  

If I order a new micro sim from O2 will this fix this glitch. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Some phones read the number off the sim card so ordering a new sim would not rectify this.

Is there an option in your phone settings to change the number?

Other than that you could use the sim in another phone which would allow you to change the number and then use it back in your new phone.

Which phone do you have?

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking that if O2 sent me a sim with my number already on it that would solve the problem. Maybe its not as simple as that then. slight_smile

My phone's a Sony Xperia S.
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Android phones don't have the provision to write to the SIM but there is an app on Play that will do it for you. Can't remember the name of it now but if you do a search I'm sure you'll find it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Android phones don't have the provision to write to the SIM but there is an app on Play that will do it for you. Can't remember the name of it now but if you do a search I'm sure you'll find it.

Is this it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.lytsing.myphonenumber&feature=search_result#?t=W25...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Is this it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.lytsing.myphonenumber&feature=search_result#?t=W25...

Looks like it could work if you can read Chinese wink

Hopefully it has a language choice on install....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for not getting back sooner.  I took my phone into an O2 shop and one of the Guru guys managed to fix it.........after a while. slight_smile

I'm not sure exactly what he did but it involved puting my sim in another phone and taking it through to the back of the shop for some jiggerypokery.

Thanks for the input guys.

Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You need a phone that will write to the SIM. Old Nokias and Sony Ericssons will do it .

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9