Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam using PAC

Jgriff65
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just had a weird conversation with customer services. Rang them because my contract is expiring. Said I would probably end contract as it was double other providers. Without asking she sent me a PAC then demanded I tell her what it was. I just told her I had received it but she was adamant I needed to tell her the number so she could check there was no mistake in the number. I refused, put the phone down but someone else rang up demanding the number to check with what they had. I said tell me the last few digits and I'll confirm if right but they couldn't. What's going on. I thought the PAC was just for the new provider. Are they trying to transfer to a new O2 contract without you knowing?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@Jgriff65 

They don't need your PAC to do that but I can see no reason for them needing it either.

What number did you call to speak to O2?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11218 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

Hi there @Jgriff65 

Welcome to the O2 community 

Well done for being cautious 

Never give private information 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 9

Jgriff65
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The number they used to call back was 0800 8400202. I don't like being suspicious but I wonder if call centre staff in India are given commission if they manage to sign up new contracts? If they used the PAC to initiate a 24 month contract how would you manage to deny it. O2 would just say you gave us the PAC you must have authorised it. Strange there was no attempt to put me through to disconnections to offer better prices as well.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@Jgriff65 

Like I said, they can sign you up to a new contract without a PAC as your number isn't coming in from another network, but yes, they are on commission.

Why they would demand it from you is a mystery.

Any reason @Kei-M_O2 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 9

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8936 Posts
  • 201 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Jgriff65 

If you are minded to stay with O2 but price is a problem. an "upgrade" via Uswitch might be worth considering :-

SIM Only Deals: Compare our best in July 2024 - Uswitch

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

There are currently six O2 deals thereon :-

Oxonian_0-1722453247843.png

Oxonian_1-1722453301317.png

I hope there might be something that interests you ? 👍

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

Nothing to do with the question asked, again....

Price point was a statement explaining the reason for requesting a PAC.

Message 7 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11264 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@Jgriff65 

It could be something harmless as you said you wanted to cancel, and they have provided you with the PAC code to give to a new provider. I think they meant to send you the Info text which shows you any outstanding balance...  and they where checking they hadn't messed up, however the reaction from the agent sounds weird and the follow up call, but again you hung up the phone, so might be a genuine call back.. (for once)

No idea why some one has posted all the o2 offers on uswitch..

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

No idea why some one has posted all the o2 offers on uswitch..

Oh but we do know, don't we wink

Message 9 of 9