cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sadly 25 years of loyalty means nothing..

Anonymous
Not applicable

I started my account with Cellnet in 1989 (Then BT Cellnet.. then O2) and have held a consistent pay monthly account of varying amounts.

The pattern of usage for text and voicecalls has recently declined with the advent of iMessage / facetime etc which utilise wifi at home or hotspots out and about.  This means my monthly payment is lowish on SIM only but I'm happy to recontract for 24 months.

However, shopping around I can get same allowances and included features for around half the price of O2 with others (and indeed if I recontract as a new customer to O2 via CPW I also get a deal at half the O2 price I'm being offered).  Is there any movement from O2 to recognise my loyalty - even a pound or two per month?  A flat no despite the 'retention team' spending around an hour looking at ways to help but the 'system' and her manager says no.

So sadly bye bye O2 after 25 years, my PAC has arrived..

Is there really no way to see sense in O2?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You have just found out what every one else knows already, unfortunately......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 operate a fair deal policy where both old and new customers get the same deal.

Sadly loyalty is a thing of the past.

If having the Refresh Tariff is not a deal breaker then it can pay to shop around.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd agree if that were true..

CPW are offering same deal (in terms of network, and tariff plan) however sharing their commission via a cashback so I could keep an O2 contract with an effective 58% discount.

Mainly because I don't need a new handset but offering to sign up for 24 months.

In reality I'll PAC to an EE shared account another family member has where the shop has offered to do a 12m SIM only add on for just £6pm - using their discount discretion for in this case a long serving Orange customer.

Message 4 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

You should go where you're going to be offered the best deal. O2 aren't showing you any loyalty. No reason why you should show any to them. Just make sure you'll be getting a good signal from EE where you use your phone most often. Signal should always be a prime factor in any decision.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like you've done your homework.

Hope all goes well for you.
Message 6 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there really no way to see sense in O2?

The answer is NO !

O2 offer new and old customers the same deals.

Sometimes, retentions may offer an incentive (seems to depend on the mood of the day though), but in general, what is on the website is what you can get.

independents will always offer better deals because they do want your business but they cannot offer the same tariffs that you can get from O2 directly.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree 100% 

- Upgrade to a M8 from 02 - 5 pounds a month more then CPW - yep 02 contact - CPW staff fosspark very helpful...02 staff not really intrested ...

Oh and wife and myself were both looking at upgrading...  

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree re signal.. luckily I've been able to see the signal quality from EE in and around Bristol where I live via the former Orange family member.. it's double speed 4G and sitting in my living room just got 51.11Mb Down and 33.35Mb up.

To be fair speed isn't what I'm looking for just basic network availability and features.. now that I'm looking I'm finding that the extras from others that are included in prices help.. like visual voicemail and tethering which I can't do today.

Message 9 of 9