Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rip off contract

Velvetsky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 have increased my contract without any notice.  I joined on 17th March and as such never received their emails sent out around 1st March.  I wouldn't expect the contract to increase and if they had given notice would have been within the 14 day return window.

Am I now able to refuse the increase?  Or am I able to return the phone under breach of contract on O2s part?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Contracts increase on the 1st April every year due to the RPI which should have been explained when taking out the contract both by email and on the website which clearly states this

This year it was around 17%

Prices | O2

There is no excuse for not knowing I'm sorry

Message 2 of 12

Velvetsky
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Actually the law states they have to give 30 days notice of an increase.  My first payment was on 3rd April for £18.  They then increased this without notice to £21.10

Legally, this is breach of contract.  As I asked, if they had given notice of the increase I would have been within the 14 day cooling off period and could have returned it without charge.  So am I now able to get the original price honoured or can I return under breach of contract?

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Velvetsky 

The price increase is clearly stated in the T&C's you agreed to.

Notice period does not apply as you agreed within the 30 days prior to the increase.

There is no breach and no recourse for you I'm afraid. In future, read the T&C's properly before signing.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Velvetsky 

There is no breach and no recourse for you I'm afraid. In future, read the T&C's properly before signing.

Exactly that ^^^^

Message 5 of 12

Velvetsky
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Actually as the increase wasn't ever given, the only mention is for £18 per month.  The law states that 30 days notice is to be given of any changes to this, which wasn't given.  The website stated £18 per month, not £18 for one month then £21.10 thereafter, which is what should have been listed to comply with the law

Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

jonsie_0-1690538495250.png

You see the important asterisk after the tariff cost?

It's on every phone for sale and it's there for a reason

Or did you not actually check why it was there?

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

Pointless discussing any further.

@Velvetsky 

Try legal action and come back and let us know how quickly you failed to get anyone willing to take your case.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Velvetsky
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

"Networks are obligated to give customers at least 30 days’ notice of any price increases. So ,they’ll usually announce price rises in January or February."

So let's try this again and try and get a sensible reply this time.  This is the legal definition regarding RPI price increases, so does anyone know what happens when the companies fail to comply with this legislation?

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

again, you were notified in the T&C's you signed up to.

O2 has complied.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12