Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of minimum contract term...

dennis1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have received a text from O2 saying my monthly SIM free bill is to rise by £10 (from £17-27). I am an ex Virgin mobile customer who was transferred to O2 a year ago. The text states that I am 'out of my minimum contract term excluding any discounts...' When I was transferred I was not explicitly told I was on a discounted plan (though when I now drill down into my account it's there) and have been given no forewarning or notice of change. The upgrades offered are not competitive with my current deal. Online there is an O2 deal for £10 per month whereas the equivalent 'upgrade' through my O2 app is £24! I presume the former is is an introductory offer though it's not stated.

Any advice about how to deal with this other than quitting O2 and moving on to another provider (all the hassle) would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146286 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28161 Solutions

Good to hear @Pierr3 and good luck @dennis1 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 146286 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28161 Solutions

@dennis1 

Use USwitch

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/o2/

Choose the deal you want

This will automatically redirect you to the O2 website

Just follow the prompts and choose the UPGRADE option

Complete the deal and nothing on your account changes except the tariff at the new cheaper cost

Payment date is the same and your next bill will be at a cheaper rate and will be made up of the pro rata cost of your old tariff and your new tariff

The change should show in My O2 within 24 hours

Volt benefits will still apply as will possibly a 3 month extra such as Disney+

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

dennis1
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5 you have helped me before, successfully I might add. Before I posted I did as you suggested via money supermarket just to test the water. However, when I selected the favourable offer and was transferred to O2 it went to my account and then reverted to the preselected uncompetitive upgrades...

I will try again via uSwitch as you advised but I'm tied up for the rest of day so can't do so immediately. I will report back if that route works.

Thanks again for your prompt and informed response, it is very much appreciated.

Message 3 of 7

Pierr3
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Thank you very much, MI5!

I can confirm this method does work. I received the same minimum contract text message and was a bit confused. 

So I just came across this forum, tried out the USwitch method MI5 suggested, and upgraded my deal to more or less the same for even cheaper than I was paying before.

I've received confirmation texts and emails stating that only the tariff is changing and everything else seems to be staying the same, with no hassle of calling O2.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 146286 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28161 Solutions

Good to hear @Pierr3 and good luck @dennis1 

Message 5 of 7

dennis1
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update: as with @Pierr3 your advice worked for me too.

Thank you @MI5 your work is done 👋

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 146286 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28161 Solutions

Welcome @dennis1 

Message 7 of 7