Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number not transferred after PAC

laurajane
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had a text confirming my number from my old network would port over on Monday. Around 3pm Monday my old sim disconnected, but it’s now Wednesday evening and I’m still without my phone number.

I’ve tried live chat and I’ve been on hold to o2 but got cut off before they close at 9pm. Live chat have told me 5-10 days, or 24-48 hours depending on who answers me. The team on X have said they’re waiting to hear back from their support team and will let me know when they have an update.

I’m tearing my hair out and now want to cancel in my 14 day cooling off period, but can’t cancel til they sort the number so I can port it to a different network. Otherwise I know my old number is lost forever.

Anyone have any idea where I’d stand cancelling if this isn’t sorted before my 14 day cooling off period ends? I’m already 6 days in due to having to activate my sim on Friday to trigger the port process.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@laurajane 

This is a customer to customer community, not O2, so we cannot access your account, sorry.

You need to contact O2.

Message them on Social Media. Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (X) (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) or give them a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (contract) 4445 or 0344 8090222 (PAYG)

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

You'll have to keep trying O2, sorry.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

laurajane
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply. But I do understand how the community works. From my post you’ll see I have been, and will continue to contact o2. I was asking if anyone had any experience on cancelling outside the 14 day cooling off period or if anyone had any advice.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@laurajane 

You will have to notify O2 of your intent to cancel within your 14 days.

Preferably in writing and sent by recorded delivery.

Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

laurajane
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you.

I was aware of that too. I’m asking if anyone has any experience or advice on if the PAC process takes longer than 14 days, are they in breach of their contract with me and will it allow me to get out of the contract after the initial 14 days, as if I cancel now, my number is lost forever.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

They won't unless you notify them in advance.

If not, you 'll have a fight on your hands.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

laurajane
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That’s what I feared. I’ll give it til tomorrow for them to sort it, then I’ll notify them I’ll be leaving as soon as my number transfers over, however long that takes. Thanks for the advice!

Message 7 of 10

666_frustration
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been experiencing the same issue! O2 won’t port number on pay as you go they keep trying to get me to join contract. When I spoke to ofcom about this they said o2 are breaking the regulations and its down to o2 to make sure your number is ported after using the PAC code as they are the recipient of the incoming number! If this is not sorted when the 30 day PAC code expires the number will go into quarantine and then it’s hard to release the number again! Report it to ofcom and the communication ombudsman ASAP! 

Message 8 of 10

laurajane
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

alled o2 today. Got the exact same answers I’ve had on the live chat and via social media. They’d email the porting team.

Apparently the “porting team” sit in a dark room and can only be contacted by email. Or maybe carrier pigeon. So now 6 o2 customer service reps have emailed them asking them to transfer my phone number.

Insanity is repeating the same behaviour and expecting different results.

You’re right, Ofcom is probably best next step, but I have heard once you formally complain o2 won’t try to resolve anything and it’ll take 7 weeks to deal with the complaint. Then my number is lost forever.

Message 9 of 10

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6306 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@laurajane 

OFCOM do not really deal with complaints from individuals and you can only involve the Ombudsman having invoked the O2 complaints' procedure which is currently subject to lengthy delays :-

How to Complain | Help | O2

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf (o2.co.uk)

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

I would be inclined not to complain due to the delays and the fact that other O2 teams are likely to be unwilling or unable to engage with you whilst there is an open complaint on your record.    

Message 10 of 10