cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Retention Deal for long-standing Customer?

Anonymous
Not applicable
My mum has been with O2 since its very beginning as BT Cellnet and was on a SIM-Only deal for 12 and half of those years.

She took an upgrade in 2008 for the Samsung G800 where they awarded her a £10 discount per month for the entire contract, this is the first time any retention deal had been accepted on this account.

Now, my mum is wanting to upgrade to the SE W995 which is admittedly a brand new phone which O2 aren't so able to discount.

The problem is, Orange are able to offer 600 mins and Unlim texts, with the free phone for £25/month, whilst O2 will only offer the same deal for £35/month.

This means, even after 14 years of spending at least £25 every month, O2 cant stretch to lower the tariff.

Any ideas how I might be able to get this sorted for my mum so she'll be able to stay with O2 and get the same deal as Orange offer?

Thank you.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Too right, and before long i can see the 48 month business contracts slipping their way into consumer sometime soon.
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Too right, and before long i can see the 48 month business contracts slipping their way into consumer sometime soon.

48 months contract? wow, that is rather excessive, right?
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
just a bit but if your going for a multi subscription account, budget phones that can easily be replaced at low expense, then i guess it can be appealing

Ment that for business accounts sorry, like if the users are going to be in industry and the phones may be damaged.

as for consumer, high end handsets like the 8800 carbon and you intend on keeping the phone for a long term, might become an option
Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
The O2 retentions dept told me to upgrade through the Carphone warehouse to get the best deal (£25 / month with 600 mins and unlimited texts).

o2 told me the exact same thing! I was after the W995, which o2 are currently charging around £97 for the phone alone on £35 18 month contract! The carphone warehouse offered me the phone for free and they also offer the phone in any of the three colours available, all for free when signing up for a contract!!!! Is it me or is there something not quite right about having to go elsewhere to get the phone but on exactly the same contract with o2??!!
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 are offering discounts as part of the retention deals, however these are limited to the choice of phone. They will no longer pay you to be a customer (which is fair enough)- however you will still get good spec phones cheap

currently.. an xda zest worth £300 can be yours for as low as £15 a month on a 24month tariff for example

the refurb phones are excellent quality, and provide you an opportunity to get further discounts if and when these are available (sim only till then)

you can also upgrade through retentions to a 150 credit instead, which rather than taking a phone, could pay 10 months of the £15 contract for you

Sim Onlys offer maximum flexibility - 30 day rolling contract, so for example, you continue to use your current phone, get a £10 saving per month straight off, if and when new deals and discounts become available, you can upgrade at any time. Equally, if you decide to leave, your not tied in. Discounts without the contract.

By all means, speak to retentions, haggle for a deal, I guarenteeif you ask, you will be offered the best deal available based on your choice of phone. This is the key - if you want a particular phone and dont like the price, ask if they have any refurbs, or better yet, based on the features.. what can they recommend for less money.. the retentions team are well trained in all handsets.

Im unsure about the Iphone theories.. commercially, Id rather O2 made required savings in subsidy, and not in the standard of service I recieve.. after all.. they have committed to an 18 month contract with me too !
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the point is that O2 tariffs and their phone prices are not very good in general compared to the other networks at the moment. On top of that, the retentions are unable to match the other networks like they used to, which is poor retentions. I don't think that is paying a customer to stay, it is just being competitive. As they have the iphone and there is no competition, maybe they only want these customers?
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the point is that O2 tariffs and their phone prices are not very good in general compared to the other networks at the moment. On top of that, the retentions are unable to match the other networks like they used to, which is poor retentions. I don't think that is paying a customer to stay, it is just being competitive. As they have the iphone and there is no competition, maybe they only want these customers?

If you don't like it, then move. O2 won't do change things until people start moving, otherwise they have no commercial incentive.

If you've decided to stay with O2 despite your issues with the price, then that is your own free choice, so I'm not entirely sure why you think you're in a position to complain...
Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't move as I am only 10 months into my contract and I am not complaining as I got a great retentions offer when I did upgrade. I couldn't really care less right at this moment.

I am adding my view, which is what forums are for, as O2 appear to be the only company not offering retentions deals. Good luck to O2 as I am sure they are making great money but I think it will be from people to lazy to move and iPhone customers.

I have read that some companies offer phones for free on tariffs less than £35pm while O2 still charge you. It makes it look like either VF, Orange etc are running losses or O2 just have massive profit margins, unless O2 have much bigger overheads which I doubt. There are ways around their offers, with Simplicity etc, I guess it must just be annoying to some.

Again, my opinion which I am free to share, whether you agree with my 'position to complain' or not.
Message 18 of 18