Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Startac 70

Commuter23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Can i use this cellphone on the network. This uses the whole simcard, the card and the cutout which slides into the phone from the bottom. It does use the GSM standard. Will the contacts line up properly, and is this available from the o2 store or mail order?

Thank you
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I have 3 startac’s in my collection, a 70, 75 and 110.
They all still work on their respective networks but it isn’t possible to unlock them for any network use.
You need one of the old credit card size SIM card adapters rather than a full sized credit card sim and you need to tape your mini sim into the cut out.
They are very basic though compared to even the cheapest modern phones, esp the 70 which did not have sms facility or caller ID etc.
Great little retro phone though and still look fantastic and get admiring glances when used in public, either that or they think “what a berk” lol slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Commuter23

The phone you want isn't available from O2...you will have to purchase from a third party seller who probably sells retro phones.

You can use it on the O2 network.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I read it as the OP is enquiring about the sim card, not the phone, @Cleoriff

@Commuter23 If you have an O2 store nearby you could call in and ask. Barring that you could call and ask customer service. https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10160 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

You might struggle, as there are gaps in the sim card holder,. and o2 sim cards are not credit card size either now.

Also bare in mind this is a 900Mhz device, and where o2 have refarmed to use 1800Mhz for voice you may struggle. 

These and the v. phones where awesome back in the day 🙂

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Although most offer sim card adaptors I noticed when I looked at sim size and Startac retailers.

I also saw a similar query on the Vodafone forum... hence my response wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Even if the OP did get it to work, the only spectrum they would get would be 2G. I remember having one. It was a cool phone at the time. I think I still have my Motorola RAZR too.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I read it as the OP is enquiring about the sim card, not the phone, @Cleoriff

@Commuter23 If you have an O2 store nearby you could call in and ask. Barring that you could call and ask customer service. https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

You are probably correct @Bambino, I misread it.Smiley Embarassed

Oh well it's late and I'm tired so.... sleeping  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Even if the OP did get it to work, the only spectrum they would get would be 2G. I remember having one. It was a cool phone at the time. I think I still have my Motorola RAZR too.:smileywink:

Yes the query on the Voda forum was regards using it as a back up phone, in case the 'main' mobile failed

I still have my Motorola Razr and Krzr. Loved them....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Commuter23 wrote:
Can i use this cellphone on the network. This uses the whole simcard, the card and the cutout which slides into the phone from the bottom. It does use the GSM standard. Will the contacts line up properly, and is this available from the o2 store or mail order?

Thank your

You can use EE/Asda/Lebara and I think Three  mobile whole credit card sized  4 in 1 sim cards in the Startac and the  contacts do line up, if you dont pop the smaller sims out --tho that's fixable using scotch tape on the back of the sims and adapters.You can't use O2 out of the box as they don't do the 4 in 1 cc sized sim holders. Though you can pop the three in one  SIM and use another cc card as an adaptertho getting a sim to fit will be the least of your problems 

If the Startac is locked to any network, then things get a lot more complicated, as it won't recognise an ee SIM as being Orange say, if it was locked to Orange, even tho Orange are now part of ee, and network unlocking it will be a real challenge.

Same goes for T-Mobile and so on. Even if you get an Orange/ T-mobile Sim there is no guarantee that ee will activate it. 

Also getting a battery that will hold its charge will be problematic, 'new' batteries are available, but they are usually unopened 15 year old ones, which are useless. No one is supplying new 'new' batteries any more.

As well as the band issue so you'd have to find a network still using the GSM bands your model would be happy with.

They went out of production 20 years ago, so getting one to work now will be a challenge. 

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I have 3 startac’s in my collection, a 70, 75 and 110.
They all still work on their respective networks but it isn’t possible to unlock them for any network use.
You need one of the old credit card size SIM card adapters rather than a full sized credit card sim and you need to tape your mini sim into the cut out.
They are very basic though compared to even the cheapest modern phones, esp the 70 which did not have sms facility or caller ID etc.
Great little retro phone though and still look fantastic and get admiring glances when used in public, either that or they think “what a berk” lol slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 13