cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midnight large data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I've a Sony Z3 Compact with a 500mb monthly limit.

Since I've had this phone (about 3 months) I've come close to using my full allowance, with regular midnight, 00:00:00, data grabs.

All the data is used by mobile.o2.co.uk (as is all the data)

Examples:

15/07/15 83637kb

16/07/15 52012kb etc

Large amounts of data, often 40mb+, is grabbed also at crazy times such as times around 3am or 5am randomly when I'm not using the phone, so I'm getting frustrated as to what is using up my allowance without my express permission.

I know the house wi-fi will not work when the phone is in standby, so this can only happen when the phone is in standby. O2 helpline gave some general comments amounting to all the updates waiting till the wi-fi is off before doing their thing, so were not much help.

Does anyone know if O2 add up all your data for the day then put it on your allowance at midnight - if so I won't be able to stop what it's doing without religiously switching off mobile data for 99% of the time to stop apps helping themselves.

Also, is there a way to find out where exactly this data allowance is being used by?

As an aside, my wife's phone is also a Sony xperia but uses data from wap.o2.co.uk - is this the same company as mobile.o2.co.uk.

All I can think of do is:

1) Uninstall everything I know I don't use

2) Physically switch off the phone at night then monitor the usage

3) Go through all the apps and try and set them not to update or look for new pictures etc.

Any comments would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146778 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions
But your wife is on a different data profile which is no longer used so who knows when that might update....?
Easiest way is to check on your phone and make sure it is more or less what it says it your My O2.
Turn off sync for any apps you only want to update manually or when on wifi and take it from there.
If your phone is showing significantly less usage than your My O2 you know there is a problem.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
  • 146778 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions
Yes, midnight is when all the days usage is added up - it's not been used at midnight necessarily.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 146778 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions
Settings >Data usage will also show you what apps are using how much data.
and your wife should also be using mobile.o2.uk now. The wap profile is an old one.
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, but I still have data usage times throughout the day. And my wife's O2 Sony NEVER has had any data use at 00:00:00.
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wap is current for her phone, though the contract is nearly 2 years old.
Message 5 of 17

MI5
  • 146778 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions
But your wife is on a different data profile which is no longer used so who knows when that might update....?
Easiest way is to check on your phone and make sure it is more or less what it says it your My O2.
Turn off sync for any apps you only want to update manually or when on wifi and take it from there.
If your phone is showing significantly less usage than your My O2 you know there is a problem.
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5 thank you. I will look at the apps and see where the data is going.

Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 146778 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Wap is current for her phone, though the contract is nearly 2 years old.

This can be easily changed to mobile.o2.uk which she should be using to get the full speed that the network offers.

Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

00:00:00 is when data gets synced with the network so it appears on your bill at this time.....this is perfectly normal!

Message 9 of 17

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Wap  is such an old protocol though it will still work ok? Many websites still give those settings for mms and the like though mainly on P&G. 

Message 10 of 17